If you could only have one Mosaic box...

bogdan101

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the T-Bone Walker Mosaic:

If I recollect correctly, there were two sides of a 78 included on the Mosaic that are not on the EMI/Capitol T-Bone sets, though they do show up on a Texas Guitar Slingers set from the Capitol blues series. And on the very first Chronogical Classics R&B disc of Walker's.

The Mosaic had different mastering too I think than the EMI or Capital sets. I've never heard the Mosaic.

Edited by jazzbo

MG and John, I think the same can be said about the Herbie Nichols.

For that matter, I don't believe that all of the Mulligan/Baker was easily available until Mosaic issued it, and then shortly after it was released by EMI.

That was the point with a lot of the Mosaic boxes. Even something like the Grant Green/Sonny Clark box and the McLean box, that material wasn't yet available on CD otherwise when the Mosaic's came out. The McLean Mosaic was one of the great events of my listening life.

At this point in my life with thousands of sides in various media, I chose the Ellington 1932-40 set because this music was my way into the jazz world, along with the ancient Columbia lps of early Armstrong.

They're great as done by Mosaic but didn't have quite the same impact on me as they did when I encountered most of that material in those two old Columbia LP boxes.

Good news! Owing to the unexpected success of their Redd Foxx box (selling out in two weeks, now fetching $1,100 on eBay...although, admittedly, it was a limited edition of 100 copies), Mosaic has now announced their next big release: The Complete Moms Mabley Chess Recordings! Includes four unreleased sessions, including Moms engaged in a cutting contest with Pigmeat Markham, and the long-rumored doo-wop duets with Bob Newhart! Original masters supplied by the Library of Congress (they couldn't be bothered with Chick Webb and Ella Fitzgerald, but turned the place over to find the Mabley masters)! Worldwide release limited to 25,000 copies...order now!

post-850-0-80451400-1379988976_thumb.jpg

Regarding the T-Bone Walker Mosaic:

If I recollect correctly, there were two sides of a 78 included on the Mosaic that are not on the EMI/Capitol T-Bone sets, though they do show up on a Texas Guitar Slingers set from the Capitol blues series. And on the very first Chronogical Classics R&B disc of Walker's.

The Mosaic had different mastering too I think than the EMI or Capital sets. I've never heard the Mosaic.

Thanks for reminding me about those two tracks, although they are sort of a footnote to the collection.

MI0001540661.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Off the top of my head, The Complete H.R.S. Sessions. Much of it is unavailable anywhere else, and the sound quality of what is available isn't the best.

Love that box set too, especially the Buck Clayton and Harry Carney's Jamaica Rumble and Shifting Sands.

Well, at least there will be two copies of that box still around after everyone rids themselves of their Mosaics. :)

MI0001540661.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Off the top of my head, The Complete H.R.S. Sessions. Much of it is unavailable anywhere else, and the sound quality of what is available isn't the best.

Love that box set too, especially the Buck Clayton and Harry Carney's Jamaica Rumble and Shifting Sands.

Well, at least there will be two copies of that box still around after everyone rids themselves of their Mosaics. :)

Make that three. :-)

At this point in my life with thousands of sides in various media, I chose the Ellington 1932-40 set because this music was my way into the jazz world, along with the ancient Columbia lps of early Armstrong.

They're great as done by Mosaic but didn't have quite the same impact on me as they did when I encountered most of that material in those two old Columbia LP boxes.

I actually prefer the Ellington small group sessions 1936-40, over the big band 1932-40 set.