2013 Monterey

Mike Schwartz

( perhaps other Monterey attendees can chime in too....)
Was blessed to be able to get out for the Friday night offerings 09/20....saw 4 first rate acts!
Skipped seeing Joe Lovano Us Five and Dave Douglas Quintet who I've been lucky enough to see in relatively recent times for others....these tough choices when the lineup is strong.
1st notes of the festival performed by Cuban pianist Roberto Fonseca; a very entertaining and wide ranging set.
Two numbers included a Kora player from Mali, also prerecorded voices on a couple of tunes including an homage to original members of Buena Vista Social Club....that said the group and the overall sound is a sometimes morph of Jazz, Latin, Worldbeat (if you will).
Fonseca's piano prowess is obvious as he moves around the keyboard as easy as falling off a log, with a combination of acrobatic runs, cool vamps for the band to pick up, and highly syncopated stops & starts that the band executes perfectly. Highly percussive, the band included an excellent trap drummer Ramses Rodriguez, and wonderful Cuban percussionist Joel Hierrezuelo.
Next up Uri Caine Trio in the Night Club, the smallest stage and where they put piano trios (mostly not exclusively) to work for 3 sets during the evening [saturday 3 set performer Orrin Evans Trio].
Caine/piano
John Hebert/bass
Clarence Penn/drums
A fantastic set from first note to last, came out firing with an up tempo tune, a really interesting take on 'Round Midnight, followed by a semi-free piece where every member soloed, got more organized in the middle section, and went free again at the end, followed by a rambling tune called "Meshuga for my Sugar" with hints of 3-4 classical composers & the blues, a slow tune named after his neighbor entitled "Smelly", and a fast tune to end it with plenty of fireworks from drummer Penn.
Caine the mad scientist with all the chops in the world, a great sense of humor and huge imagination. Had I not had other bands scheduled to see would have loved to catch another set!
Vocalist Carmen Lundy, who I had on my (now) Wednesday broadcast was a treat to see 2 days after an interview was in top form!
She had never before performed at Monterey and was buoyed by the experience and the warm welcome from the large audience well deserved. As an accomplished song writer, she did a set of entirely original tunes with the exception of 1 standard.
Patrice Rushen on piano was absolutely stellar and was enthusiastically rewarded in her efforts by the audience. Terrific set all the way around.
Last act of the night was vocalist Gregory Porter, who had played a set at the main stage earlier, came to Dizzy's Den indoor venue standing room only. Sound needed numerous adjustments on the fly, having had to change for 4 consecutive sets must not be easy.
Porter is kind of a phenomenon....audience members singing along with some of his songs.
He's the ultimate natural, can pick up the phone book and deliver it in song, is another gifted song writer, does a really nice job on covers. Great voice, fantastic poise, very positive delivery, comfortable and warm communicator with the audience....very enjoyable, although not the best venue unfortunately.
I must say I like his band very much with one exception; saxophonist Yosuke Sato who even on recordings leaves me thinking 'what the hell is he doing?' and in other places is OK. Sorry to say his frequently overly busy approach is pretty annoying to me as far as I'm concerned [ upper register tone not pleasing to these ears, which he's in alot!], something to have to put up with while enjoying the overall Gregory Porter.

Edited by Mike Schwartz