The Paramount box from Third Man / Revenant

cih

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lossless? For these sources? Do no want, do not need.

One can just as easily say "Lossy? For these sources? I don't want to lose any more data!". It's not trivially true that a poor recording will suffer less (or more) by being encoded lossy.

In any case: my main reason for wanting lossless is that I don't want to be tied to any one format. If I want to re-encode in funny-format-x, I want to start with a lossless file--converting lossy-to-lossy leads to trouble.

so here's what annoys me.

I am totally blind. I use a screan reader called nvda, look it up if you don't believe me and i am not going to be able to read the books.

I just want the flipping music! i collect 78s myself and would love to hear some of it.

now let's just hope they do release these as separate lps, or something, because if you're paying for a nice wooden case with some records in it you're not really paying for the music, interested though you may be in it.

appologies for sounding a tad self pitying but really...

I have a friend here in Atlanta whose screen reader had the hardest time pronouncing "Bix Beiderbecke." It came out something like "By-der-be-kee," with the emphasis on the second syllable.

I would love to hear those 800 - just llistening to the samples left me thrilled - there is just something about that era; it's all new and strange and beautiful, from country to gospel to blues. It's like going right to the source.

There are a few JSP boxes with Paramount material; I have the one that has about 100 blues tracks.

so here's what annoys me.

I am totally blind. I use a screan reader called nvda, look it up if you don't believe me and i am not going to be able to read the books.

I just want the flipping music! i collect 78s myself and would love to hear some of it.

now let's just hope they do release these as separate lps, or something, because if you're paying for a nice wooden case with some records in it you're not really paying for the music, interested though you may be in it.

appologies for sounding a tad self pitying but really...

I have a friend here in Atlanta whose screen reader had the hardest time pronouncing "Bix Beiderbecke." It came out something like "By-der-be-kee," with the emphasis on the second syllable.

When I was at a public station here in Toronto, I offered to play listeners' favourites when they made a donation. One of the telephone volunteers passed on a request for "Big Spider Beck".

When I was at a public station here in Toronto, I offered to play listeners' favourites when they made a donation. One of the telephone volunteers passed on a request for "Big Spider Beck".

:lol: :lol:

So it wasn't the listener who sent in the request that way but some clueless typist transcribed the listener's phone call like that??

I would love to hear those 800 - just llistening to the samples left me thrilled - there is just something about that era; it's all new and strange and beautiful, from country to gospel to blues. It's like going right to the source.

There are a few JSP boxes with Paramount material; I have the one that has about 100 blues tracks.

For the blues stuff I have a large number of Document complete works, and there's also a great deal on Spotify - but i'm a fan and not an 'expert', so knowing what was actually released on Paramount and what wasn't isn't my strong point.. but i would very much like to have this set at some point in the future (makes me nervous that this is 'volume 1'), though each time i mention it in passing at home i get very cold breeze from my other half :-o

Me too. I think it cost about $20. But I think Allen already has that. IIRC I bought it on his recommendation.

I just want to hear the music. Don't care about the wooden case. Who's doing the notes?

Lossless? For these sources? Do no want, do not need.

Is there a song list yet?

The 800 tracks are listed in a PDF available on the site.

Link please. I do not see a PDF with the song list at this site: http://thirdmanrecords.com/news/view/paramount-records-wonder-cabinet

I want to hear the samples, which are also gone, damn.

Yes, Joe; there are a number of very good JSPs of Paramounts (a total of 2-3 boxes) of which the Paramount Masters is the best, I think.

It's just that from what I saw (briefly) on the samples page, this set is going to have some astonishingly rare things in it. which might just kill me if I cannot get them.

Edited by AllenLowe

hmm, so i misse the pdf of the books?

rite, well at least i know that if i order it i should be entitled to have those books, in pdf form so i can read them for free and not have to have someone read to me.

What makes me a little nervous is that the flash drive will aparrently hae a program/ap on it that lets you listen to the songs. If I or anyone else had to hack into that to grab the mp3s that would be stupid.

I doubt i'll be ordering it anyway... pretty high price.

by the way i am 23 years old, so there are young people digging this music out there.

jjef, my screan reader does pronounce bix's name correctly, but my friend had jaws for windows which does what you said to his name, id make me laugh!

Exactly. Like most everything.....the pdf's could have been found using the cached feature, but you can't even do that.

My guess is that they made an error making the two books available - which was a major piece of work handed out for free. They shut down access to that original promo page and replaced with the new one a couple of days after

hmm, so i misse the pdf of the books?

rite, well at least i know that if i order it i should be entitled to have those books, in pdf form so i can read them for free and not have to have someone read to me.

What makes me a little nervous is that the flash drive will aparrently hae a program/ap on it that lets you listen to the songs. If I or anyone else had to hack into that to grab the mp3s that would be stupid.

I doubt i'll be ordering it anyway... pretty high price.

by the way i am 23 years old, so there are young people digging this music out there.

jjef, my screan reader does pronounce bix's name correctly, but my friend had jaws for windows which does what you said to his name, id make me laugh!

In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up online for free (especially with White involved)....and the programs thing are really not that difficult to get around.

Edited by Blue Train