The Paramount box from Third Man / Revenant

cih

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In this day and age, I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up online for free (especially with White involved)....and the programs thing are really not that difficult to get around.

Without the intent of trolling, but simply because I do not know the man or the history here, why does White's involvement make it more likely they'll end up online? And do you mean online in some legal form or in a blatantly illegal one? (And, for the sake of this question, please, let us not quibble about Andorran releases versus Sony/BMG ones, etc. etc. etc.)

If I'm opening a terrible can of worms here, just say "can of worms" and we'll consider the subject closed. :o)

Because he has a large fan base from White Stripes and all the other bands/projects he's involved with. A lot of people will probably be hearing these musicians/music for the first time because of his involvement. I mean; someone will eventually illegally upload it, like they do most everything else.

I have a friend in the electronica field that releases his recordings on his own label.....sometimes as limited edition as 25 copies....and even those get ripped and uploaded....sometimes within an hour of release when they're downloadable from his site. One person even tried to tell him he was doing him a favor by getting his music out there.

I am pretty sure Chuck, Allen, and Jim A. have all experienced the same.

So, with as a much larger fan base that White has.....

Edited by Blue Train

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't realize who this guy was. Thanks!

You're welcome. Everyone should keep in mind the 1st and 2nd White Stripes record were dedicated to Son House & Blind Willie McTell. There are all kinds of Old School blues influences on White Stripes and other Jack White related recordings.

P.S. Speaking of Old School....I don't think a single White Stripes record cost more than $75,000 to produce....and I am just being generous. I don't think took more than a few weeks were involved to record anyone of them. They were basically him and Meg White and a recorder in room a good deal of the time.

As in, if anyone is going to be ripped off from this release....it is the estate of someone that probably did it for WTF? knows how many decades. And once again, I really doubt that is happening since with White involved the estate would be salivating. They could have filed an injunction to keep it from even being released while they sued.

Edited by Blue Train

I have a friend here in Atlanta whose screen reader had the hardest time pronouncing "Bix Beiderbecke." It came out something like "By-der-be-kee," with the emphasis on the second syllable.

When I was at a public station here in Toronto, I offered to play listeners' favourites when they made a donation. One of the telephone volunteers passed on a request for "Big Spider Beck".

:lol: :lol:

So it wasn't the listener who sent in the request that way but some clueless typist transcribed the listener's phone call like that??

(Sorry it has taken a couple of days to get back: internet troubles).

The volunteer who took down the request was a young fellow, about 14 - the manager's son, as it happens - and he was a burgeoning blues fan, so he heard what he wanted to hear, I suppose.

Likely had never heard of Bix, and besides, who would ever name their kid Bix? (Other than Randy Sandke, of course :D ).

When I was at a public station here in Toronto, I offered to play listeners' favourites when they made a donation. One of the telephone volunteers passed on a request for "Big Spider Beck".

... The volunteer who took down the request was a young fellow, about 14 - the manager's son, as it happens - and he was a burgeoning blues fan, so he heard what he wanted to hear, I suppose.

Not a blues fan, but I might listen to a side put out by Big Spider Beck, esp. with Halloween around the corner.

Edited by ejp626

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Can the box set craze get any crazier? What's next? Gold-plated steamer trunks? I guess if there's a market for this kind of thing... But It seems REALLY excessive to me. And I'm a huge fan of these old Paramount recordings. It would be kinda cool if eventually we could have real miniature musicians in refrigerator size boxes. Sheesh!

Edited by blind-blake

• 3 weeks later...

I recommend Jazzology's Paramount reissues on their Black Swan Label. I stumbled across Jazzology's office while in New Orleans a few days ago and bought a couple of these. Great people and reasonable prices. Check them out at jazzology.com

I have some of Jazzology Paramount issues, but as I've said before here, I wish Jazzology would issue the Paramount stuff in some sort of coherent, logical fashion. Except for a few issues, it's all piecemeal anthologies and series they start but never finish.

I'm sure I read recently that Jazzology is going to be putting out a Ma Rainey set (although I don't know why they didn't do this years ago). I totally agree that Jazzology has dropped the ball on the Paramount stuff. I personally can't blame outfits like Document and JSP for putting out stuff when the proper owners refuse to.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up the first volume of this and am listening to it now. The box is over the top, obviously, but a beautiful art piece nonetheless. The flash drive is more than just a list of files--it also has an interactive feature that you can make particular playlists or just randomize what you listen to. 

Is it worth the price? No, I don't think so. But to get it I just sold a bunch of music that I will probably never listen to again anyways, so, who cares? Lastly, I think the angst over the use of Mp3s instead of lossless files is bizarre. Lossless Paramount recordings from the 1920s? What is it exactly that you think you are missing, sonically? 

Anyway, fuck it, I'm getting the second box too. 

Compression codecs really aren't designed to work with antique records. They are designed for modern music. All of the clicks and pops and crackle can cause some codec/bitrate combinations to artifact badly.

I want a CD if I am buying a physical product though. I REALLY don't want vinyl. That is like throwing money in a hole at this point.

I'll say right now that these two boxes, which I've been listening to this week and which I plan to spend the rest of the year immersed in, immediately vault up to the top three or four sets in my collection. As I've said elsewhere, the best box sets tell stories, and this one does that better than anything else I've ever encountered. Of course you can get all this music burned onto a disc. But for that matter, if you want, you can get almost anything for free if you know where to look. I'm grateful that somebody decided to issue this material in a way that was respectful to its historical importance.