Left Bank '66 on Kickstarter

Justin V

There's a new Kickstarter campaign for a 1966 Left bank recording of Walter Namuth's Quintet, featuring Mickey Fields. The band is Walter Namuth on guitar, Mickey fields on tenor, Claude Hubbard on piano, Phil Harris on bass and Purnell Rice on drums. I'm only familiar with Purnell Rice, who appeared on Leo Parker's Blue Note albums, but I found the idea of an archival recording of seldom-recorded Baltimore musicians intriguing. For a $20 contribution, you get a 105-minute download of both sets in their entirety, the 70-minute CD and a ticket to the release party.

the "rewards" are kinda for locals, too ... why not offer the longer DL version + CD internationally? beats me ... but this does look interesting!

Sometimes it is worth asking if you increase the donation a bit will they at least ship the CD internationally. (That's what happened for me with the Harrison Bankhead.) I might look into this.

They do ship the disc - at least it seems so, with the 15$ option ... but they don't specify additional shipping costs (which usually are around 8 $ or so). Will give this a moment to mull over, the campaign is running for a month, so ...

Might it be for legal reasons that they don't offer the CD + DL (of all the music) internationally?

Edited by king ubu

• 3 weeks later...

Using the powers of Google, I am pleased to report that I was able to track down Purnell Rice's widow so that she could be informed of (and paid for) the project. I hope that she was happy to learn that there is still plenty of interest in the work of her late husband (who died in 1974 at the age of 50) and his colleagues. I'm ecstatic that the project has met its funding goal, having raised almost double the requested goal of $1500. :tup

This is what Bob Porter had to say about Mickey Fields, on the sleeve of Stanley Turrentine's BN twofer 'Jubilee shouts'.

He was writing about the 'boss' tenors, men like Jug, Sonny and Stanley, who travelled around, playing with whatever local rhythm section was there, and sometimes welcoming a local hero onto the stand.

"But... the champ must be careful. A Mickey Fields in Baltimore or a Bill Easley in Memphis is capable of cooking an unsuspecting tenor man into bad health!"

I have an LP of Mickey, mostly recorded at an (almost certainly) 1967 Left Bank concert, with Groove Holmes, George Freeman and Billy Jackson. There's no doubt that Fields cooked like a madman on 'Straight no chaser' and 'Left Bank Cookout'! But he gave the game away on 'Lover man'. There's no tenderness in his playing; the tune is done in high octane mode. Whether this was Groove's fault for calling the tempo, I dunno, but I doubt it.

I'll be interested in getting this. Am I too late?

MG

• 2 weeks later...

hey MG, whats that left bank lp u mention w/ groove, is that a major label release of some sort or a private press thing, or somethin.

good god, is this how left bank is gonna go w/ the future of the tapes. i am okay with this. next release, needs to be, you can spot it at 0:38 in the kickstarter video:

11-28-65: Hank Mobley, Johnny Coles w/ rhythm sec.

And they can follow that with

Grant Green

John Patton

Harold Vick and Hugh Walker!

hey MG, whats that left bank lp u mention w/ groove, is that a major label release of some sort or a private press thing, or somethin.

good god, is this how left bank is gonna go w/ the future of the tapes. i am okay with this. next release, needs to be, you can spot it at 0:38 in the kickstarter video:

11-28-65: Hank Mobley, Johnny Coles w/ rhythm sec.

How much will you pledge to hear that one Chewy :D