Left Bank '66 on Kickstarter

Justin V

You can buy the CD on cdbaby.com

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/walternamuthquintetfeatm

Thanks for this, KH, I snoozed on the Kickstarter but now I want to listen to the clips and at least do a FLAC download.

Interesting notes - it says that everything was recorded on reel-to-reel? I could have sworn hearing that when Dorn got the tapes they were all original and on cassette.

Is it really too much to hope that this could be an ongoing Kickstarter project to get these tapes out? Or was it easier to do since this was a local band made up of folks with little national reputation at the time, and getting the Patton/Green recording or Mobley/Coles would be too difficult due to estate issues?

You can buy the CD on cdbaby.com

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/walternamuthquintetfeatm

Thanks for this, KH, I snoozed on the Kickstarter but now I want to listen to the clips and at least do a FLAC download.

Interesting notes - it says that everything was recorded on reel-to-reel? I could have sworn hearing that when Dorn got the tapes they were all original and on cassette.

Is it really too much to hope that this could be an ongoing Kickstarter project to get these tapes out? Or was it easier to do since this was a local band made up of folks with little national reputation at the time, and getting the Patton/Green recording or Mobley/Coles would be too difficult due to estate issues? I thought the real issue was that a lot of the tapes had deteriorated to the point they were no longer usable. I assumed this meant the ones with GG and Patton and Mobley etc, al.

• 2 weeks later...

hey MG, whats that left bank lp u mention w/ groove, is that a major label release of some sort or a private press thing, or somethin.

It's on the Edmar label, a small indie label that started in Bermuda (I have a calypso LP from '63 - Edmar 1020 - on that label with a Bermuda address) then moved to NJ. The Fields/Holmes LP which must be 67/68 is Edmar 1075, so a fair number of LPs came out in 5 years. The firm might have been owned by Eddie DeMello, who produced and wrote the sleeve for the calypso album. He was sufficiently well connected to get Michael Cuscuna (who worked for WXPN-FM, in Philly) to write the notes for the Fields LP, but what the other material on the label was I've no notion.

MG

• 11 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Regarding the Mickey Fields record on Edmar - who is the composer of Left Bank Cookout? I assume Little Green Apples is the tune by Bobby Russell.

I saw a site that offers a download. I usually avoid those. Is it safe to do so or is Putin trying to hack into my PC by offering free Left Bank downloads?