amina claudine myers

alocispepraluger102

i heard an extended stupendous version of song for mother e from a program recorded live by corporation for public broadcasting back in 1981. i'm afraid that performance is gone forever. i will match the piano playing i heard on that concert with that of any pianist i have ever heard.

Edited by alocispepraluger102

i had never heard of her, until this older gentleman i know was telling me how he once dated this lady in the 70s, he couldnt remember her name for the life of him. but she was a jazz organ player, and played with gene ammons. and had 3 names. thats what he told me. i came on organissimo here, posted the facts, and i think it was chris A who suggested myers, i ask my friend about it- he says yes absolutely.

I wonder if recordings from her early 00's tour with Von Freeman ever surface?

I know of at least one (taped myself, but no idea where the CDRs might be):

Von Freeman
Concerto Jazz Rete Due
Studio 2, RSI, Lugano (CH)
March 13, 2002
Von Freeman - tenor sax
Amina Claudine Myers - piano
Hein van den Geyn - bass
Han Bennink - drums
CD1/53:38
1. Summertime (G. & I. Gershwin) 44:18 [beginning cuts in]
2. If I Should Lose You () 9:20 [ts-solo]
CD2/45:07
1. All Blues (Miles Davis) 14:40 [p/b/d only]
2. Nardis (Davis-Evans) 11:12
3. Confirmation (Charlie Parker) 14:09
4. We'll Be Together Again (Carl Fisher) [ts-solo]
FM / 99 min
Guess it's "around" ... will try and look for it.
(edit - found it ... my disorderly order is working rather well, after all!)
Edited by king ubu

any thoughts on "Circle of time"? it's been sitting in a shopping basket for a while and I've not yet pulled the trigger

That's the only album I have of her, played it a lot in those days - like her playing and voice.

Unfortunately haven't heard about her since, not a lot anyway.

A couple of quick & dirty photographs of the vinyl album:

ACM1.jpg

back side (click through to photobucket to enlarge & read the liner notes):

AMC2.jpg

Edited by jazzscriveyn

I really like "Jumping in the Sugar Bowl". A fun, joyful record.

The title track in particular -- "... from Miss Myer's recollection of a childhood game of the same name in which all of the kids would gather in a circle with arms interlocked and jump together rhythmically while chanting 'Jumpin' in the sugar bowl, jump jump jump'...".

Also some great drumming by Reggie Nicholson, especially on the really burnin' up-tempo sections of "Cecil B".

MI0001913790.jpg

any thoughts on "Circle of time"? it's been sitting in a shopping basket for a while and I've not yet pulled the trigger

That's the only album I have of her, played it a lot in those days - like her playing and voice.

Unfortunately haven't heard about her since, not a lot anyway.

A couple of quick & dirty photographs of the vinyl album:

ACM1.jpg

back side (click through to photobucket to enlarge & read the liner notes):

AMC2.jpg

Thanks for posting this

Love all her work (only exception being the 2nd "poppish" album she did for Novus...the first one was also aimed there, but succeeded better, imo).

Song For Mother E is one of the on-the-verge-of-becoming-lost Great Post-Larry Young B-3 albums.

What I wouldn't give to hear (or have experienced) her backing Jug on B-3 back in the day...maybe somebody's got something somewhere...

Love all her work (only exception being the 2nd "poppish" album she did for Novus...the first one was also aimed there, but succeeded better, imo).

Song For Mother E is one of the on-the-verge-of-becoming-lost Great Post-Larry Young B-3 albums.

What I wouldn't give to hear (or have experienced) her backing Jug on B-3 back in the day...maybe somebody's got something somewhere...

Love that clip...Pheeroan is absolutely blazing there.......

I feel like I mention this record all the time, but she can also be heard to excellent effect on Frank Lowe's EXOTIC HEARTBREAK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HSUZeFH7A8

(There are also some live recordings from this group, made at Soundstage, were issued by DIW in the 90's. Worth hunting down, if you don't mind the more "documentary"-like sound quality.)