Grant Green organ sessions

Milestones

I know there are a ton of these under the names of various organists, and I'm most intrigued to check out Big John Patton.

Under his own name, Green worked fairy often with Larry Young (with Elvin Jones in the drum chair). I've finally heard all of Talkin' About, which I'd say is one of the finest of all Grant Green records. This is the is core trio, of course. I have also heard all of Street of Dreams, where the group is joined by Bobby Hutcherson; nice record too, and quite different from Talkin'.

I know there's other stuff as well, such as I Want to Hold Your Hand and Larry Young's Into Something.

Your comments and recommendations please.

Edited by Milestones

A great question would be what albums/sessions with Grant Green with organists OTHER THAN Larry Young or Big John -- are real "must haves" kind of sessions?

(For those of us who feel like EVERYTHING he ever recorded with Young or Patton is "must have".)

I'm not sure but wasn't the 'rejected' Grant Green/Gene Harris recording with Gene on organ?

Definitely a must-have.

:g

Edited by Dan Gould

I'm reading the original liners by Nat Hentoff. He sure didn't care for organ players.

This is a great session. Al Harewood is strangely low in the mix, though I can really hear his sticking on the ride cymbal as if there is an odd treble boost. The washing of the cymbal is hardly audible in comparison. Too bad because everyone else is well-represented here and it seems to me he was playing his ass off.

'Grantstand' is really nice. But the other 3 albums GG made with Brother Jack are really nice too.

Jack McDuff - The honeydripper - Prestige (with Jimmy Forrest)

Jack McDuff - Goodnight, it's time to go - Prestige (with Harold Vick)

Houston Person - The real thing (live at Club Mozambique) - Eastbound Some really nice quartet sides with McDuff, GG & Idris; but Jimmy Watson and Sonny Phillips are on organ on some other cuts.

Also 'Soul brotherhood', with Charles Kynard, Blue Mitchell, David Newman, Jimmy Lewis & Mickey Roker. Real music from ALL.

MG

Yes, the albums with McDuff are a fine bunch, all three of them!

Not that big a fan of Poppa Lou, I'm afraid ... his opinionated manner gets on my nerves bigtime, though his music can be very good, even if his own playing always seems somewhat "derivated" to me, to put it in a rather nice way ;)

Yes, the albums with McDuff are a fine bunch, all three of them!

Not that big a fan of Poppa Lou, I'm afraid ... his opinionated manner gets on my nerves bigtime, though his music can be very good, even if his own playing always seems somewhat "derivated" to me, to put it in a rather nice way ;)

Lou is definitely opinionated, but I don't mind (not because I agree: I don't). As he said, he brought the truth (well, A truth).

MG

I think he overdosed with the truth ;)

But Lou was never a user. He told us all that!

Lou Donaldson did say the best live band he ever had was

Lou

Jack McDuff

Grant Green

and Joe Dukes

and a big yes to the Kynard Soul Brotherhood album.

Just waiting for my near mint vangelder Blue Label Prestige to turn up in the mail.

So I'll finally get to hear it as 'nature intended'!

The two sessions with Baby Face Willette are great recordings.

They define the genre.

I don't think I agree. They're great recordings, indeed, but Baby Face was MUCH better served in his recordings for the Chess Bros. Those two albums are effin' incredible! But GG's not on 'em; it's Ben White on guitar.

MG