Grant Green organ sessions

Milestones

The two sessions with Baby Face Willette are great recordings.

They define the genre.

I don't think I agree. They're great recordings, indeed, but Baby Face was MUCH better served in his recordings for the Chess Bros. Those two albums are effin' incredible! But GG's not on 'em; it's Ben White on guitar.

MG

Behind The Eight Ball?

They define the genre.

I don't think I agree. They're great recordings, indeed, but Baby Face was MUCH better served in his recordings for the Chess Bros. Those two albums are effin' incredible! But GG's not on 'em; it's Ben White on guitar.

MG

Behind The Eight Ball?

Yes, and 'Mo rock'.

NOTHING like the Blue Notes. Not much like anything else, either.

MG

Yes I've heard them but probably haven't listened enough. The big esoteric track was on one of them. The guitar player didn't do him justice if I remember.

His two Blue Notes are definitive for me because they just swing hard unstoppably so, they are also bop, and they are also so dirty low down, almost as close as you could imagine to the sound and vibe of actually being in a Black organ bar as ever captured on vinyl by the true masters, in their youthful prime. This includes Grant's First Stand. They are all obviously 'off the leash' without Lou there. But Here Tis provides a more sober version of the band with Lou overlooking the proceedings. The Green/Dixon/Willette's without Lou are carnal.

They define the genre.

MG

Didn't someone say that Baby Face Willette cried about those Chess recordings?

When I was a BN collector I got to get anything that´s round and as a hole in the middle. Now if I look back, I don´t listen to many of those numerous Organ-Guitar things from the 60´s . I bought them, listened once or twice to them and that was it.....

If I want to get into that groove, I still play "Let ´em Roll", or the nice "I wanna hold your hand" with Green, Larry Young and Hank Mobley. Maybe 2 or 3 more of that kind, but that´s enough for me....

They define the genre.

MG

Don't know about the crying, but the Blues Notes and the Chess recordings are two completely different deals, at least to my ears. I'll take the Blue Notes hands down.

They define the genre.

MG

Don't know about the crying, but the Blues Notes and the Chess recordings are two completely different deals, at least to my ears. I'll take the Blue Notes hands down.

I don't know about the crying, either, but it has been said somewhere here that Baby Face and Esmond Edwards didn't see eye to eye at the sessions. Personally, I think Baby Face won, hands down.

MG

When I was a BN collector I got to get anything that´s round and as a hole in the middle. Now if I look back, I don´t listen to many of those numerous Organ-Guitar things from the 60´s . I bought them, listened once or twice to them and that was it.....

If I want to get into that groove, I still play "Let ´em Roll", or the nice "I wanna hold your hand" with Green, Larry Young and Hank Mobley. Maybe 2 or 3 more of that kind, but that´s enough for me....

It took me a while to get into John Patton after being such a big fan of Larry Young. But now whenever I turn up the volume on his more funkier dates it's hard not to grin.

Edited by Deepak

They define the genre.

MG

I don't know about the crying, either, but it has been said somewhere here that Baby Face and Esmond Edwards didn't see eye to eye at the sessions. Personally, I think Baby Face won, hands down.

MG

Well I'm enjoying listening to some tunes from the Chess sessions again, even if only via youtube!

I'm sure I read somewhere and fairly recently, someone speaking directly about this session and Willette being disturbed about it. If it wasn't here it must have been a very dark corner of the internet?

hasn't really got his dad's talent for music :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7lhKh94SeU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DahIbMpnfUU

Edited by freelancer