looking for...Charlie Haden "Silence"

Listening now - a pretty nice session, a little loose. The pianist is Enrico Pieranunzi who contributes one original (Echi). It's good to hear Baker on that because it's not a typical piece for him.

I've long loved the title tune and Baker playing those long tones adds something special. That was the main reason I bought it. The others are Visa (one of two Charlie Parker tunes with this title), Conception (George Shearing), Round Midnight, and My Funny Valentine. Baker sings on the last only. Pieranunzi plays a great solo on RM. Haden is Haden, exactly as one might expect.

Mix isn't great. At times the piano sounds very strange. Almost like it was overdubbed. It's high in the mix and has an odd timbre. Maybe too close-miked?

It was recorded in 1987 but was not issued until 1989, after Baker's death.

gemm.com lists a few kinda high-priced options.

Mike

thanks mike. curious more than anything else about this session. your description of the sound quality dulls my enthusiasm for it. 80's-itis has killed many a jazz session for me in the past and probably would have on this one. bad sounding piano is the wooden stake to the heart on this one I guess.

thanks for the help.

thanks mnytime, i came across that site myself when i was doing a web search.... have you had any experience with that company? i hadn't heard of them. i know sometimes, these things will show up on a search...you order...then nothing. anyway, just wondered if you had. thanks for the tip, i might try it either way... :D