What's the plan for Big O in DC on Oct 17?

The Oct. 17 gig here in DC at one of the Smithsonian museums could be affected by the Shutdown, depending on when it's finally resolved. What's the plan, and any thought being given to a finding a backup venue? I'm sure the status of this is probably day to day, wait and see -- but given the distance from MI to DC -- there's got a be a point where some decisions have to be made.

Were you guys appearing as one stop of several here on the East Coast? I'm not seeing anything else on the calendar, so I'm guessing you're just driving out here and back? I've never been able to catch the band live in person, and I'm sure hoping this gig doesn't end up getting scuttled!

I'd suggest the museum where I work as an alternate venue, but he sound would be awful (the biggest, boomiest space on the planet -- near horrible for music events) -- and besides, after-hours events here require some not insubstantial extra security expense (which is never optional) -- so I doubt it would work -- plus there's the issue of the band getting (or not getting) paid for the gig itself.

If driving from Michigan, when were you going to be heading out? And, in case this does all work out, how long were you planning to be in town? I'd kind of half been planning to hang out with you guys after the gig that night -- or, perish the thought, you weren't going to start driving back (overnight) that very night right after the gig?

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Yes, the shutdown has affected the gig. The cut-off date to cancel is the 15th, but I might cancel it before that, frankly. I didn't have enough time to work on getting other bookings and so yes, it was the only date. I also have to go up to Binghamton, NY the very next day to play with Janiva. So that gig messed up the weekend.

The person who booked the Smithsonian gig said that they would re-schedule for spring if it's cancelled. That's what I'm hoping for because it would give me more time to book other gigs. Plus, it's not really going to be an organissimo gig since Randy could not do the Oct date.

I'm sure it'd be a bitch to get a B3 up the stairs to Twins, or down the stairs to Bohemian Caverns.

Has anyone heard/seen an actual B3 in either space? Is there an alternate set of stairs down into Bohemian especially? The main stairs down is a pretty tiny passage, best I can recall.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Organissimo was at Twins a few years back. Jim can speak on how hard it was to get his instrument up the stairs.

People have brought keyboards down into the Caverns somehow. I don't know about an authentic B3, however. Lonnie Liston Smith has been there (NOT THE DR.); not sure what he carries around.

There are possible venues in Baltimore.

Bertrand.

Just remembered this was on my calendar for this afternoon, and wondered if it went down the drain due to congressional craziness. Checked the Smithsonian website and saw that Brad Linde Ensemble will perform today. Will try to catch some of that, and look forward to a springtime visit to DC by the Big O. Hopefully a few more nearby gigs can be stitched together.