Where are you buying your music today?

Hardbopjazz

My local shop Tipitina

Mosiac from Mosaic

Frog from Frog

Paragon Ragtime Orchestra from PRO etc.

Amazon.com, .co,uk, .de, ,fr (never used .it or .jp)

Dr. Jazz Meeting at Wageningen twice a year.

Ebay once in a blue moon.

Worldsrecords used to be a favorite. Never let me down, nothing ever got lost in the post.

Blue Note in Amsterdam was a favorite as well

I also have never and never will pay for downloads.

So, if there's no other way to buy the music you love, you'd all prefer not to have it at all?

I honestly can't understand that. All my record-buying life, it's been between difficult and impossible to get most of the music I've wanted at different times (perhaps because I've seldom lived in the right places). I'll put up with anything - jam on vinyl, trashed vinyl, cracked but playable vinyl, muddy K7s, to get the music I want.

MG

I have no interest in downloads either. I have enough music in some physical form - for me that's LPs, CDs, and some 45s - to last me for the rest of my life. And there's still music that I want to listen to that's available in physical form. If I miss out on something that's only available as a download, so be it. There are more important things in my life than worrying about having everything I think I might want or need.

They used to be well-stocked, but the owner is a dick.

The shop clossed years ago. I got along with him very well.

Sem van Gelder's Swingmaster store in Groningen is great for used stuff, both on LP and CD. They're now at a new address: Pelsterstraat 20, 9711 KL Groningen.

He is always present with a large stand at the Dr. Jazz meeting in Wageningen.

Brick and mortar, by and large.

Basically, Newbury Comics in Cambridge and Boston, and my local thrift store, where interesting stuff shows up from time to time.

Also, directly from artists at gigs, of course.

And, of course, directly from artists at gigs.

So only Concerto/Plato is left now in Amsterdam? (Fame in its new location is a joke.)

Edited by erwbol

I thought i got most things from Amazon, and maybe I do, but when I reviewed my purchase history recently I found I had hardly bought anything in the past 3 years. Don't get it. Although I do suddenly have 2000 tracks on the cloud player.

By the way you guys who don't buy downloads may find already that you own thousands on the amazon cloud :)

Just weapons? No tinned food or bandages? And how about one of those 'Last Days' brand hand-cranked ipods?

Don't need no tinned food. Just take one of my assault rifles and git me a ground hog or one of them doggone, downloadin' comm-U-nists.

Don't need no i-pod. Just The Good Book.

Anyhows, I got me Eric Alexander chained up in the chicken house. I can have live music, just as The Good Lord intended, whenever I wan it.

I nearly never buy music online. Mainly I go to just 2 stores, one is because it is a local one and I want to support it. They have mainly second hand stuff. The other is in Amsterdam called 'Concerto'. After the closing down of 'Blue Note' that is the best option to go for jazz. I do buy at concerts sometimes, when it is affordable and I did enjoy the concert or when I'm a fan of the artist anyway and want to pick one of his/her albums. It is nice to get it signed right there. I don't get mp3 downloads, mainly because I like to look at the booklets, and want to 'feel' and 'smell' the real thing. I can't afford to buy that much, so when I do get an album I have carefully picked it out.

I always go by Concerto when I'm in Amsterdam, but I do resent them stocking more and more of those Spanish public domain releases. Titles like early Miles Davis Columbia, Prestige albums, etc. It's the death of album collecting imo.

Ah yeah. Well I usually just look in the second hand section. Sometimes recent released albums are already there. Can you recommend a better record store in the west?

I always go by Concerto when I'm in Amsterdam, but I do resent them stocking more and more of those Spanish public domain releases. Titles like early Miles Davis Columbia, Prestige albums, etc. It's the death of album collecting imo.

This is really frustrating for me. The remaining brick and mortar stores in my city were never good for new releases outside of ECM and the occasional random gem, but if you had some money burning a hole in your pocket and really didn't want to walk out of the store empty handed you could usually fill a gap in your Ellington or Monk collection. Now the shelves are full of the PD releases, which in all honesty i wouldn't mind quite as much if the legit releases were still there, but they appear to have been phased out. Sucks.

Ah yeah. Well I usually just look in the second hand section. Sometimes recent released albums are already there. Can you recommend a better record store in the west?

Only the Jazz Center in The Hague, but they never had much second hand CDs if I recall. They certainly don't have the space compared to Concerto. It's a shame they are too far south for me.

• 1 year later...

Don't forget:

Swingmaster Records

http://www.swingmaster.nl/

Ear & Eye Jazz
Drieharingstraat 9 - 3511 BH Utrecht - 030-2302095

De Jazzwinkel
Oudegracht 211 - 3511 NH Utrecht - 030 234 34 56
www.jazz.nl/

Jazz Center
Wagenstraat 125a - 2512 AT Den Haag - 070 - 363 91 29 / 365 70 01

http://www.jazzcenter.nl/

http://www.zuidhollandjazz.nl/shops.htm

Edited by Cyril

So only Concerto/Plato is left now in Amsterdam? (Fame in its new location is a joke.)

I understand there are some good places in Amsterdam to buy African vinyl and K7s. 'Course, you may not want to buy records with shea butter on them :D

MG