Butch Warren 8/9/39 - 10/5/13

bertrand

I am very sad to report that my friend Butch Warren passed away yesterday 10/5/13 around 6:45 PM at Holy Cross Hospital in Maryland.

As you know, Butch had recently been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

Butch last performed on August 9th at a birthday celebration at Westminster Church. The last piece he ever performed in public was 'Barack Obama'.

Farewell, Butch, I will miss your music, your stories and your deadpan sense of humor. It was great hanging out with you over the years.

I asked Butch once what it was like playing with Archie Shepp and Bill Dixon. His reply (I paraphrase): 'the music is the same, the people just dance differently'.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

I was surprised, when I saw this thread, to see how young he was - only four years older than me. Only 20 when he recorded with Kenny Dorham in January 1960.

Just looked through his discography; surprised to see just how many albums featuring him I've got (15) including the LP that started the Acid Jazz movement in the UK in 1983 - 'Preach brother'.

RIP, Mr Warren. Those recordings won't be forgotten.

MG

I am very sad to report that my friend Butch Warren passed away yesterday 10/5/13 around 6:45 PM at Holy Cross Hospital in Maryland.

As you know, Butch had recently been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.

Butch last performed on August 9th at a birthday celebration at Westminster Church. The last piece he ever performed in public was 'Barack Obama'.

Farewell, Butch, I will miss your music, your stories and your deadpan sense of humor. It was great hanging out with you over the years.

I asked Butch once what it was like playing with Archie Shepp and Bill Dixon. His reply (I paraphrase): 'the music is the same, the people just dance differently'.

Bertrand.

His line about playing with Shepp and Dixon is a great one (and a true one).

Thank you, Mr. Warren.