Best Wayne Shorter work.

Hardbopjazz

Which Shorter Session do you think is his best.  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are lots of sides to Shorter at different times, but I'll never get over the bizarre deadpan humor of his work on "Introducing Wayne Shorter" and "Kelly Great" (both VeeJay) -- not only because it's terrific but also because it's pretty much unique ("pretty much" because you could make a case that there's some relationship between this side of early Shorter and the serio-comic late '50s Rollins, even though the results sound very different).

Help me out here; what's the album from the 70's with the Brazilian musicians (Milton Nascimento, I think)? The title escapes me... I heard a bit of it on a radio show a couple years ago, but still haven't tracked down a copy. Sounded good to me at the time--what do you guys think?

Not sure that I can pick a favorite recording, but I must point out that his current quartet is playing some stuff live that IMO is equal to anything he has done throughout his carrer. Neither of the recordings featuring this group really display just how great the band is.

I would have to cast my vote for Adam's Apple but I am a huge Shorter fan and don't even ask which one comes in second because I don't know if I could narrow it down that close. Love ETC., Schizo., Night Dreamer, the Vee Jays, Footprints, ...

You get the drift.

Wayne is fantastic. Had the opportunity to see him live a couple of years ago. Best show I have ever seen. :g:g

"Odyssey of Iska" your favorite, huh Jim? :excited:

Yeah, it is. There's a "operatic" (or some such) quality to both Wayne's playing (he's SINGING on his horns!) and the intereaction w/the band and the programmatic nature of the music that really appeals to me (the concept and its execution) and reaches (the "singing" quality of Wayne's playing) me.

Not a "popular" choice, obviously, and certainly not an obviously "jazz" album. but, yeah, it is my favorite Wayne album.

But hell, I like'em all for different reasons. I guess if I was to go for the "traditional" choices, it would be JUJU.

I did own "Iska" once but didn't keep it. I do remember some beautiful playing, but the style seemed too dated. It just wasn't my thing, but then my tastes in jazz are more narrow and shallow than Jim's. ;) (No irony meant there, despite the winkie; I hold no pretences as far as being a great judge of jazz or music in general.)

Edited by connoisseur series500