Best Wayne Shorter work.

Hardbopjazz

Which Shorter Session do you think is his best.  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Speak No Evil was my vote. Heard it for the first time this summer. Seemingly more complex and webbed than his other recordings.

We listened to it three times in one afternoon out on the screened in porch on the river. My grandfather has some killer speakers out there. All the older guys were out playing a round of golf. The girls were out in the sun reading entertainment magazines. My brother and I hovered on sleep listening again and again to Speak No Evil. The search never ends. You never know when its gonna hitcha.

The great thing about this album is that it is probably such an obvious choice for most of you that it has never been hyped up to me. When I heard it, I wondered why!

Yeah Jim. Iska is unique. As critics might say, "idiosyncratic."

I have to agree with Jim that "Iska" is kind of an underrated gem. "Supernova" hinted at this, but is not on the same level conceptually.

"Moto Grosso Feio" holds a special place in my heart for its openness. And I love his playing on Tyner's "Extensions". Still would like to hear that unissued session.

"Speak No Evil", because I think of all the BN discs, it has more of his greatest compositions than the others. Plus...that band....wow. Not that the other sessions weren't fantastic in their own right, but this session seems to have that magic touch to it. Wayne, Freddie and Herbie play some of their best solos on record on this date. The band was defintiely "on".

I notice "The Soothsayer" hasn't been discussed. That's a fine session as well. Keeping my fingers crossed for a RVG of that one.

Edited by sal

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...