Seems this is a new series .... stumbled over it when looking in the internets for some Komeda a few weeks back ... sent in an order (for Vols. 3-8) then with a vendor called merlin.pl (using google translate) - and just picked up my package at the post office and popped in some of the music (first the Komeda disc, now Vol. 3, the first of two with music from the 1962 Jazz Jamboree). Very nice!

PolishRadioJazzArchives01_StanGetz_zps0f

Vol. 1 - Stan Getz with the Andrzej Trzaskowski Trio, rec. 1960 it seems

Stan Getz – saksofon tenorowy,
Andrzej Trzaskowski – fortepian,
Roman Dyląg – kontrabas,
Andrzej Dąbrowski – perkusja.

PolishRadioJazzArchives02_DonEllis_zps5f

Vol. 2 - Don Ellis with the Wojciech Karolak Trio, rec. at the 1962 Jazz Jamboree

Don Ellis – trumpet

Wojciech Karolak – piano

Roman Dyląg - bass

Andrzej Dąbrowski - drums

PolishRadioJazzArchives03_JazzJamboree62
Vol. 3 - Jazz Jamboree '62

Eje Thelin Quintet ( Eje Thelin-trombone, Ulf Andersson –sax, Goran Lindberg – piano, Bjorn Alke –bass, Rune Carlsson –drums)

Don Ellis / Wojciech Karolak Trio (Wojciech Karolak – piano, Roman „Gucio” Dyląg –bass, Andrzej Dąbrowski – drums)*

Jazz Fraktionen (John Tchicai –sax alt, Max Bruel –sax baritone, Niels Bronsted –piano, Bjorn Alke-bass, Rune Carlsson- drums,)

Jerzy Milian Ensamble (Jerzy Milian – vibraphone, Wojciech Lechowski –guitar, Krzysztof Komeda-Trzciński-piano, Tadeusz Wójcik – bass, Leszek Dudziak-drums,)

Louis Hjulmand / Wojciech Karolak Trio (Louis Hjulmand –vibraphone, Wojciech Karolak-piano, Roman “Gucio” Dyląg-bass, Andrzej Dąbrowski –drums)

*) the one Ellis/Karolak track here seems to be an alternate version of one title also on Vol. 2 (which I don't have yet)
PolishRadioJazzArchives04_Komeda_zps16ec
Vol. 4 - Komeda

Recordings from 1957 (with a sextet plus third streamish arrangements adding english and french horn), a quartet cut (with perc added) from 1959, Bernt Rosengren with Komeda's trio in 1961 doing two short cuts from "Knife in te Water" at the 1961 Jazz Jamboree and "Ballad for Bernt" at the radio studio, and finally half an hour in trio from the 1962 Jazz Jamboree (with Roman Dylag and Rune Carlson)

PolishRadioJazzArchives05_Trzaskowski_zp

Vol. 5 - Andrzej Trzaskowski

This contains two 1962 dates, both in quintet with Zbigniew Namyslowski (as), Michal Urbaniak (ts) as well as trio cuts with various bassists and drummers ... the first half is from the 1962 Jazz Jamboree again, the second was recorded in the radio studio and features a variety of "covers" such as "Saint Vitus Dance", "Sack o' Woe", "Hi-Fly", "Minority" ...

PolishRadioJazzArchives06_JazzJamboree62

Vol. 6 - Jazz Jamboree '62, Volume 02

Kwintetu Andrzeja Kurylewicza, tria węgierskiego pianisty Atilli Garaya z czeskim basistą Janem Arnetem i Andrzejem Zielińskim na perkusji, dwa wokalne standardy zaśpiewane przez Wandę Warską z towarzyszeniem Tria Wojciecha Karolaka, gdańskiego BigBandu Jana Tomaszewskiego, Swingtetu Jerzego Matuszkiewicza, jak również wulkanu energiiNew Orleans Stompers i radzieckiego Vadim Sakun Sekstet .

Not too many well-known names here ... but Jan Wróblewski is featured on the 13 minute track by Kurylewicz' Quintet (the leader on trumpet here), Wanda Warska does two songs ("Ill Wind" and "Time After Time") ... for that alone, I guess, the disc should be worth getting (I'll soon know).

PolishRadioJazzArchives07_ArrivalInPolan

Vol. 7 - Arrival in Poland

As the title says, this is a compilation with performances from various visitors ... for starters, there's four titles by Bernt Rosengren with the perennial favourite Ianci/Jancy/Iansci Körössy (the man with many names), followed by three Körössy trio titles, all from 1961. From the same year, there's one short track by the Lasse Lystedt Quintet (no personel given there, I don't even know the leader), then there are three by the Lars/Lasse Werner Trio, and finally one by a singer called Nora Brocksted doing "Love for Sale" with the Polish radio Orchestra (that last one's from 1962).

PolishRadioJazzArchives08_Standards_zps0

Vol. 8 - Standards

Another compilation here ... Trzaskowskis Quintet (with Namyslowski and Urbaniak) doing "Vierd Blues" by Miles, then The Jazz Rockers (Namyslowsky and Urbaniak with another rhythm section) doing more jazz originals like "Moment's Notice", "Horace-Scope", "Split Kick", "Sack o' Woe", as well as "Lover Man", "Yestedays" and more. Then there's Jerzy Milian doing a short "Solitude", and finally Andrzej Kuryelwicz (again on trumpet) with his group featuring Jan "Ptaszyn" Wróblewski on tenor, doing three standards. These recordings again stem from 1961/62 and were recorded by Polish Radio in Warsaw, Poznan and Krakow.

PolishRadioJazzArchives09_SwingDixiampRa

Vol. 9 - Swing, Dixi & Rag

This one I hadn't even seen before just now ... it features Albert Nicholas, Emil Mangelsdorff's Swingtet, Dudus Matusziewitz and others ... mostly unfamiliar stuff, but I might go for it eventually, too.
Seems the entire series is brand new, all discs give the (P) and © year as 2013. They don't (yet?) turn up on any yurpeen amazon sites or any such, but the cost per disc being 5-6 € when ordering from Poland (from merlin.pl or also from the shop of Polish Radio, though I did the former, as I said), the prices aren't getting steep even with shipping, at least inside ol' yurp.

links, just in case:

http://sklep.polskieradio.pl/Category/76-jazz.aspx?PageIndex=2

http://sklep.polskieradio.pl/Category/76-jazz.aspx?PageIndex=3

http://merlin.pl/muzyka/jazz-polski-jazz/browse/category/4,11426.html

(do some searching ... they don't seem to have Vol. 9 which is why I was unaware of its existence until right now)

Oh, and Max Brüel is smokin' "Blue Monk"! Waitin' for Tchicai now ...

The Komeda was the first that I put on ... some warble, some digital treatment issues (like weird circling cymbals), but to my ears very listenable - and I guess for stuff of that vintage and that origin, it's really pretty good! Also played Vol. 3 after that, the Milian track is gorgeous (Gerswhin's "Soon"), too bad there's just one! And the two Brüel/Tchicai tracks are great, both Monk tunes (Blue Monk, Well You Needn't) and both 10-11 minutes, with Brüel playing soprano on the second (bari on the first) and Tchicai on alto (well, I assume it's him on alto on both).

• 5 years later...
7 hours ago, mjzee said:

Just noticed this series on eMusic.  While CDs are expensive on Amazon, d/l's are pretty cheap on eMusic.  Here's a list: https://www.emusic.com/search/polish radio jazz archives/albums

Some titles are intriguing (I haven't heard any).  Johnny Griffin/Kenny Drew Quartet doing a 20-minute version of Now's The Time?

There are three discs of Griffin, more or less (one of the Jamboree ones, has more, and there's a 2 CD Griffin set ... excellent music.

And ordering CDs directly is a bit of a drag (I still need google translate to make sure I'm going through the correct moves, but it has worked out four or five times in the past three years), shipping costs are out of proportion (around 50%), but still the price is quite alright (and I think they do trackable shipping only, which explains the cost). Not sure how it would be to the US, but it might be worth a try.

On the other hand, the documentation of the discs is rather mininmal: digipacks with one flap/cover, tracklist and line-ups and dates given, and that's about it. In the case of Komeda, some of the recordings seem to have been available previously, but that's another messy discography there that I never even tried to figure out.