Keith Jarrett: No End

mjzee

31g5E-HkkoL.jpg

Release date November 25. Amazon

Keith Jarrett: electric guitars, Fender bass, drums, tablas, percussion, recorder and piano.

Recorded at his home studio in 1986, No End illuminates hitherto undocumented aspects of Keith Jarretts music. He is heard here on electric guitars, electric bass, drums and percussion, overdubbing tribal dances of his own devising: Somehow something happened during these days in the 80s that wont ever be repeated,he writes in his liner notes. There was really, to my knowledge, no forethought or composition in the typical sense going on; just a feeling or a rhythmic idea or a bass line concept or melody. None of this was written down.

On the instrumentation: Drums were always with me in some way, Jarrett reflects. I have always been drawn to instruments that you touch directly, without a mechanism in between. Therefore, I cannot say that I have ever loved the piano as much as the drums or guitar. With, primarily, these instruments (piano this time has only a cameo role) Jarrett has shaped one of his most unusual albums.

I had to check the calendar to make sure this wasn't an April Fool's joke. I will still assume this is a joke until confirmed otherwise. (Though, given the creation of Restoration Ruin and Spirits, not entirely surprising if this is not a joke.)

OK: apparently, the forthcoming existence of this release is not a joke, whatever the jokiness of the musical contents.

Edited by Guy