Mini Vent Review (Leslie speaker simulator)

Jim Alfredson

Thanks Jim, very good review!!

I have the original Vent on my SK2, waiting for the new fullsize as I like to change the speed

with the SK2 speed switch. Anyway the mini sounds good!!

What would the settings be on the original to sound similar? Thinking about distortion and distance.

Edited by telecaster

Hi there !

I take it you prefer the Ventilator's emulation of a Leslie 122 better than the onboard SK2 simulator ?

Enough to justify the extra expense ?

I notice Hammond-Suzuki are bringing out their own Leslie simulator pedal - essentially the software stuff that is in an SK2 - including a Hammond Tonecabinet simulator.

Getting "Stop/Break" on the Mini-Vent, pressing both buttons together : does it also do that on the original Ventilator ?
(I have an original Vent and didn't know you could get "Stop".)

Thanks !

Thanks Jim, very good review!!

I have the original Vent on my SK2, waiting for the new fullsize as I like to change the speed

with the SK2 speed switch. Anyway the mini sounds good!!

What would the settings be on the original to sound similar? Thinking about distortion and distance.

Yes, they should sound similar, although I had a tough time clipping the input on the Mini Vent. It seems much easier to clip the input on the original Vent. I don't want to clip the input, mind you, but sometimes when trying to get more overdrive out of the Vent, I'd push the output of my SK2 or XK3 really hard and then the original Vent would clip. I couldn't get the Mini Vent to do that. The designer told me he removed an op-amp from the input circuitry and is instead doing it's job in software, so perhaps that is why. The other benefit to that is less noise.

Hi there !

I take it you prefer the Ventilator's emulation of a Leslie 122 better than the onboard SK2 simulator ?

Enough to justify the extra expense ?

I notice Hammond-Suzuki are bringing out their own Leslie simulator pedal - essentially the software stuff that is in an SK2 - including a Hammond Tonecabinet simulator.

Getting "Stop/Break" on the Mini-Vent, pressing both buttons together : does it also do that on the original Ventilator ?

(I have an original Vent and didn't know you could get "Stop".)

Thanks !

No, it doesn't work that way on the original Vent. To get the STOP mode you need to use the REMOTE input. You can do so either with a separate remote unit from Neo Instruments, a much less expensive remote unit from Ashby Music, or a custom cable from your clone's Leslie output (11 pin or 8 pin) to the Ventilator. The latter is how I do it on the original Vent.

Concerning Hammond's Leslie pedal, I have not tried it but I hear it's very good. It is not the same algorithms as the SK.