Donald "Duck" Bailey RIP

Mike Schwartz

It's an image-looking thingy between these two paragraphs:

There are a couple of bootleg tunes from Montreal 1963 with Bailey subbing for Roy Haynes (who was of course subbing for Elvin). "Impressions" is fast and hard to hear, with a long piano solo and no tenor solo. More telling in terms of the 6/4 language is "Up 'Gainst the Wall" with no McCoy, just Trane and Jimmy Garrison. It's obviously not Elvin, but it sounds like it someone who knows their Elvin -- unless, of course, some of the influence went the other way, or had arrived there by a separate route.

(link)

This bootleg along with "Impressions" is "commerically" available as bonus tracks on RLR under John Coltrane 1962 Milan Concert. I'm comfortable posting it here because 1) RLR is essentially illegal anyway (although I'm happy to buy some of their invaluable rarities when I can) and 2) the drummer is listed as great Canadian drummer André White on the CD. I've triple-checked with Coltrane scholars: it's definitely Bailey; also White was born in 1959. Not that anyone else but Bailey could have played like this in 1963, anyway! Amazing drumming.

It's an image-looking thingy between these two paragraphs:

There are a couple of bootleg tunes from Montreal 1963 with Bailey subbing for Roy Haynes (who was of course subbing for Elvin). "Impressions" is fast and hard to hear, with a long piano solo and no tenor solo. More telling in terms of the 6/4 language is "Up 'Gainst the Wall" with no McCoy, just Trane and Jimmy Garrison. It's obviously not Elvin, but it sounds like it someone who knows their Elvin -- unless, of course, some of the influence went the other way, or had arrived there by a separate route.

(link)

This bootleg along with "Impressions" is "commerically" available as bonus tracks on RLR under John Coltrane 1962 Milan Concert. I'm comfortable posting it here because 1) RLR is essentially illegal anyway (although I'm happy to buy some of their invaluable rarities when I can) and 2) the drummer is listed as great Canadian drummer André White on the CD. I've triple-checked with Coltrane scholars: it's definitely Bailey; also White was born in 1959. Not that anyone else but Bailey could have played like this in 1963, anyway! Amazing drumming.

OK, thanks. That audio was there when I first read the article. From the posting of the Twitter link, it sounded like he had added an additional audio, perhaps recorded at Bailey's home, but I misunderstood.

The audio is interesting. It sounds like Bailey wasn't as much interested in forward propulsion as Elvin was; Bailey's not pushing Trane as much as providing decoration around what Trane is playing. Bailey would have been a nice match for Monk, though.