Zagat: 50 states, 50 sandwiches

A lot of those are really regional for that state, or make no sense. How doesn't the Philly steak not make the cut for PA?

Some odd choices. RI is either a roast beef sandwich (there are roast beef sandwich joints everywhere) or a lobster roll.

Virginia is the Cuban? I'd go with a Club, a Sailor, or Stuffy's VIRGINIAN!

They got NC right, though Charlotte? And slaw on the side? It goes on the sandwich folks.

Edited by Blue Train

Amazed by this...the Michigan pasty.

pasty_680_340_85_s_c1.jpg

While this one's more of a calzone than a traditional sandwich, it’s still meat and cheese surrounded by bread, so we’ll say it counts. A small influx of Finnish immigrants followed the Cornish miners into the upper peninsula of Michigan, and this sandwich became a tradition for miners in the area to eat. The Pasty Oven in Quinnesec is about as far north into that peninsula as you can go, and they create several types daily. Their traditional pasty is filled with beef, pork, onion and potato, all wrapped up in a buttery crust.

Would never classify as a sandwich in Cornwall. But I love they idea of the Finnish-Cornish culinary interaction.

A lot of those are really regional for that state, or make no sense. How doesn't the Philly steak not make the cut for PA?

Some odd choices. RI is either a roast beef sandwich (there are roast beef sandwich joints everywhere) or a lobster roll.

Virginia is the Cuban? I'd go with a Club, a Sailor, or Stuffy's VIRGINIAN!

They got NC right, though Charlotte? And slaw on the side? It goes on the sandwich folks.

They made an excuse for not giving PA the Philly, but I don't think it made any sense. Some of these sandwiches sound terrible.

Agreed ALA, a pastry is not a sandwich, and I am of the mind that a burger is a burger.

Amazed by this...the Michigan pasty.

pasty_680_340_85_s_c1.jpg

While this one's more of a calzone than a traditional sandwich, it’s still meat and cheese surrounded by bread, so we’ll say it counts. A small influx of Finnish immigrants followed the Cornish miners into the upper peninsula of Michigan, and this sandwich became a tradition for miners in the area to eat.

The Pasty Oven in Quinnesec is about as far north into that peninsula as you can go, and they create several types daily. Their traditional pasty is filled with beef, pork, onion and potato, all wrapped up in a buttery crust.

Would never classify as a sandwich in Cornwall. But I love they idea of the Finnish-Cornish culinary interaction.

Well, I've lived in Michigan a long time, and I've never heard pasties called sandwiches.

And the author of that article apparently needs a geography lesson. Quinnesec is nowhere near as far north as you can go, it's at least 160 miles to Copper Harbor, Michigan.

Edited by Uncle Skid

Well, I detected 3 real sarnies - Colorado, Oregon & S Carolina - & 4 toasties - Mississippi, Minneapolis, S Dakota & Wyoming. Most of the rest were baps, cobs, baguettes or rolls (or a pasty :))

The S Carolina BLT seemed OK, if there wasn't anything else to eat.

American slow food is some of the best stuff I've ever eaten, but that lot.... groo!

MG