Ronald Shannon Jackson has passed away

alocispepraluger102

Been on a bit of an RSJ binge, BBQ Dog & Power Tools are every bit as fine as I remembered...just got No

Wave and am still warming up to it.

Sounds like he's playing a cardboard drum set and the other three don't sound much better but it's a ferocious performance. Thank you and good-bye.

Dave Liebman posted a short but very admiring note about Jackson on Facebook. A footnote I found interesting: When Miles was coming back after his layoff in the early 80s and was asking Liebman about musicians (it was Liebman who recommended his student, Bill Evans) Liebman also suggested to Miles that he look into Jackson, Jamaaladeen Tacuma and James Blood Ulmer. Obviously, Miles went in another direction but interesting to think about the road not taken. As Liebman put it, "I thought they could really put Miles into a different place."
Edited by Mark Stryker

Dave Liebman posted a short but very admiring note about Jackson on Facebook. A footnote I found interesting: When Miles was coming back after his layoff in the early 80s and was asking Liebman about musicians (it was Liebman who recommended his student, Bill Evans) Liebman also suggested to Miles that he look into Jackson, Jamaaladeen Tacuma and James Blood Ulmer. Obviously, Miles went in another direction but interesting to think about the road not taken. As Liebman put it, "I thought they could really put Miles into a different place."

Miles let it be known what he thought of the Prime Time alumni, and supposedly was reluctant to play any festivals that featured them. Meanwhile he luxuriated in Sco, Mo larry curly and any other post Hendrix fusion shufflers. Probably reached it's nadir with the feeble Robben Ford getting a guernsey.

Miles didn't play harmolodic music. But if he had hired Ron then he would have played with Albert, Cecil, Ornette and Miles. I heard that Downbeat did a blindfold test with Steve Swallow and he was played a track from Eye On You. His reaction was 'Wow, what is this stuff?'. He dug it. Unfortunately, it didn't make the cut to the magazine.

Edited by ATR

• 4 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...