Andre Previn - Jazz Releases

Tom 1960

I in particular enjoy his work on the Shelly Manne disc "Shelly Manne and His Friends, Volume 1". A very nice date. I also own "My Fair Lady" which also features Previn. Any thoughts on any of his dates as a leader, most notably any of his Broadway themed releases? I had the opportunity to hear "Pal Joey" and that might be something I would look at purchasing. Your thoughts as always are appreciated,

Perhaps the most West Coast of all West Coast albums -- almost incredibly clever/precious, but the playing is expert, and the whole thing is very entertaining (too bad this reissue doesn't have the original Flora cover, one of his best):

http://www.amazon.com/Collaboration-1954-55-Shorty-Rogers/dp/B000H6SUQ8/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1382306505&sr=1-1&keywords=andre+previn+shorty+rogers

http://www.google.com/search?q=jim+flora+collaboration&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=1VNkUvXsKuibygGL7ICgAg&ved=0CCkQsAQ&biw=1047&bih=948&dpr=1

Previn's early dates for Sunset are not 100% enjoyable or convincing (he seems at time to be playing in a jazz-like way rather than improvising in a swinging fashion... and he does want badly to swing), but they are enlightening and show off his his two main influences: Tatum and Cole. Available on Black Lion.

His three solo songbook releases for Contemporary are, I think, very good, and very worth hearing. The absence of a rhythm section actually frees Previn to play without trying too hard or for too much. And the songs themselves are sturdy enough to withstand the occasional forays in, as Larry says, "cleverness." The Arlen LP is especially good in this respect.

4110BPZW3EL._SX300_.jpg

51qXeyTI3ZL._SY300_.jpg

41SQ22EAHPL.jpg

Previn's early dates for Sunset are not 100% enjoyable or convincing (he seems at time to be playing in a jazz-like way rather than improvising in a swinging fashion... and he does want badly to swing), but they are enlightening and show off his his two main influences: Tatum and Cole. Available on Black Lion.

His three solo songbook releases for Contemporary are, I think, very good, and very worth hearing. The absence of a rhythm section actually frees Previn to play without trying too hard or for too much. And the songs themselves are sturdy enough to withstand the occasional forays in, as Larry says, "cleverness." The Arlen LP is especially good in this respect.

4110BPZW3EL._SX300_.jpg

51qXeyTI3ZL._SY300_.jpg

41SQ22EAHPL.jpg

I'll second Joe's rec for the songbook albums.

Don't know about jazz, but Previn did a lot around that time to deschnabelise classical music. He always presented it as something you could enjoy rather than something you 'appreciated' alongside the correct caviare and the finest wine.

I think I got my hair 'style' from him!

You sure? Missed the part in the fine print where it says: "This article may contain re-recordings offering contemporary SHMHDCD24bitK2 sound quality. The musicians involved are the finest imposters of the real thing, and have taken the liberty to correct dud notes and gaffes inherent in the originals during the process of recreation (ha!). It's even better than the real thing!"

Don't know about jazz, but Previn did a lot around that time to deschnabelise classical music. He always presented it as something you could enjoy rather than something you 'appreciated' alongside the correct caviare and the finest wine.

Well, that's another strike against him. I prefer drinking wine while I'm listening to music.