Suggestions sought: Speaker wires

GA Russell

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, GA Russell said:

Thanks Kevin.  I'm going to study your post.

My question was about the tools.  Does anyone have a recommendation for good tools?

I've used something very like this from Parts Express. (Links to cheaper items at bottom of page; I'm at work so can't be specific.) I imagine hardware stores have similar items.

Edited by T.D.

I've used a box cutter for years but I have a lot of experience with it so I haven't gotten cut in a while. I also use wire strippers. The type I use looks like this: https://www.parts-express.com/gb-gs-366-wire-stripper-crimper--360-630. I like this type because they double as a small bolt cutter.

No matter how you do it, it's important to do it in a way that you don't accidentally cut through any of the copper strands inside. So if you do buy a wire stripper, make sure to use the right sized cutting slot. You have 12 Gauge wire so use the slot labeled 12. The one labeled 14 may cut the outer jacket better or easier, but it's likely damaging the outer copper strands. These often break off inside your connector once you start moving or flexing the wire.

Also, always remember that copper is not something you want inside your skin. Copper slivers infect like crazy. If you happen to get a small piece of copper in your finger, dig it out with tweezers. You're better off with a hole in your finger that you can cover up with a bandaid than an infected sore from subcutaneous copper. :)

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

16 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Unless someone objects, I'm going to get one of these.

IRWIN VISE-GRIP Multi-Tool Wire Stripper/Crimper/Cutter, 2078309 - $13.99

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JNNWQ2/

Those will work fine.

Edit to add: I am not backing down from my statement above, but thinking on it more, I would prefer a tool with the stripping holes below the pivot point. Like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005QVRB/ref=s9_acsd_simh_hd_bw_b2Jxm_c_x_1_w?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-3&pf_rd_r=1G1T4E7SS7EKM38TDJHK&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=f6696391-cce8-5c19-a9f4-3720630a6927&pf_rd_i=553398

The reason for this is that I find that I sometimes need to spin the cutter a bit to completely cut through the outer jacket and I prefer the spin point to be near the middle - it makes it easier to spin as it's more balanced, Also, when you pull on the wire to slide off the outer jacker, you have to keep the jaws closed the whole time. I find this harder to do with the type of stripper you show above. With the holes near the middle, I can grab the tool and keep the jaws closed while pulling the whole tool. I can control the pulling force better that way too.

Edited by Kevin Bresnahan

• 3 months later...
28 minutes ago, Scott Dolan said:

Good lord! 

Dude, Camel done jumped the shark a good while back.

1383858229000-XXX-ZX30183-Smokes-Camel-B

08.jpg

I have neither smoked nor drank beer for a while now, and thank god, not just for health, but for all this..."flavor" trying to make things taste different than what they are.

Oh, and Kool, my old brand (eventually)?

flavor_24.jpg

57 minutes ago, Stefan Wood said:

Around $25 shipped.  They sell quickly but do get restocked.

Phenomenal price. No wonder they sell out fast. I believe I paid $30 for my Emotiva cables. 5ft, 14AWG with braided covering, and banana plug terminations. So, slightly more visually pleasing than these, but I'd have ZERO problem having these on my system. Good find! 

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

Dude, Camel done jumped the shark a good while back.

1383858229000-XXX-ZX30183-Smokes-Camel-B

08.jpg

I have neither smoked nor drank beer for a while now, and thank god, not just for health, but for all this..."flavor" trying to make things taste different than what they are.

Oh, and Kool, my old brand (eventually)?

flavor_24.jpg

Brother, when I was dipping Copenhagen MANY moons ago they had one flavor. It was called Copenhagen. Now I swear when I'm at the grocery store and I glance at the Copenhagen products, there's like 10 different flavors. 

Camel offering a filtered cigarette is one thing, but the Baskin-Robbins approach to flavor is truly out of control. 

On 10/23/2013 at 6:39 PM, Uncle Skid said:

14 or 16 gauge lamp cord from Home Depot. Buy it by the foot, and get exactly what you need.

Kevin and fent99 are right. Double-blind tests consistently confirm this. I also have a BSEE, not that it means I'm an expert, by any means. Just a skeptic.

I recently received, for the first time, a catalog from Mapleshade. Had never heard of them before. Snake oil crap taken to a whole new level, in my opinion.

I'm enjoying re-reading all of this!  Scott and Jim, is it your view that Uncle Skid is correct, and that lamp cord is as good as anything else?