Suggestions sought: Speaker wires

GA Russell

I'm not one to constantly listen to tweaks and such, but I have heard a difference when I've changed the speaker wire in my system. Science can "prove" whatever it wants. Those who want to can trust science. I'll trust my ears.

Sure, it depends on what you were switching between, though. 

For example, if you have a 50ft run and were previously using 16AWG and switched to 14 or 12 AWG you would indeed hear a difference. But, if you're just simply switching between one set of 12AWG for another set of 12AWG and heard a difference it was one of two possibilities. 1. There was something faulty with the previous set of wires, or 2. you went in with an expectation bias that the new set was going to sound different/better. 

Now, with that said, if the new wires sounded better to your ears, good. Where the problem occurs is when snake oil dealers try to sell you some bullshit about their $100 per ft cables possess some kind of magical capabilities that will transform everything you thought you heard before, blah, blah, blah...

Edited by Scott Dolan

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scott, you're off base with me, I don't believe in throwing money at audio and often find less expensive things to sound better.

Fair enough.

So tell me, you have always been completely dead set against headphones. You gone on, at length, as to how much you disliked them. Yet, you recently bought a pair because they would be advantageous in your living situation. 

That's great! 

But then you listed what you got, and made sure to also add that they were expensive. Well, yes, there were. Around $1,000. Again, fair enough. But you claimed the sound of them fit you. So how many headphones did you audition before you chose the pair you bought? 

It's a recurring theme with you. "well, it was kind of expensive, but it best suited my tastes/ears/whatever." I think Shawn posted a pair of Audio Technica cans that go for around $50 and talked about how great they sound for the money. Jim A talked about his THREE sets of Audio Technica cans that run around $350. Others posted their headphones, almost all of which were far cheaper. Including my PSB Speakers cans. Did you test any of those? 

Here's my point: it just seems bizarre to me that someone who has professed such a profound disdain for headphones throughout the years would suddenly run out and blow a grand on a pair. And then make sure to ell everyone that they were rather expensive, but...

Was it the sound that fit you, or the price tag? 

Profound disdain? I have stated I had tired of headphones and didn't intend to use them. Now I have a need for headphones to extend possible listening sessions, and so I bought a pair, gosh have you ever had a changing need and accommodated it.? I did audition three other pairs, of varying price points. Two expensive ones were recommended to me by another user of the same headphone amp/preamp that I have, and I auditioned them. Two pairs were less expensive. I liked the Oppos best of the four. They weren't the most expensive, but they weren't one of the two cheaper pairs. I have money in the bank, and spent it, because I liked them, they really were just right for me. I'd have bought cheaper ones had they been just right for me. 

I mentioned they were expensive because they are. Figured someone was going to tell me they were if I didn't mention it. I'm at a place in my life at the moment where I can afford quality of sound and don't have to agonize over a price tag. I bought the best of four I auditioned. I don't see how that makes me some sort of elitist.

Was a time I respected your opinion on many things but I no longer do on audio matters. You make sweeping generalizations and put on superior airs about things which I happen to have diverging personal opinions of and feel I may have an opinion more informed by experience. I'll just remain silent as best as I can from now on, and do my best to ignore your misconceptions about me and audio in general.

Edited by jazzbo
spelling

I'm at a place in my life at the moment where I can afford quality of sound

And there is the answer to my question. Oops...

BTW, you "figured someone was going to tell" you your headphones were expensive if you didn't mention it? That's odd. In that same thread someone posted about their set of Audeze which probably cost close to twice what you paid for your cans. I didn't see anybody jumping them about it. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

Whatever Scott, I said that because I expected some of your usual shit, and I got it from another angle, sure wasn't disappointed. Have fun feeling all superior like with your "know it all" negative, cynical knowledge. (Which makes me chuckle). I'm done trying to be on a thread with you.

Edited by jazzbo

I HAVE done it in the past. I felt that you had worthwhile contributions I did not want to miss so I rescinded. I feel that way less and less, just so much negativity and closed minded opinions inferring others are somehow lesser. This is how you come off. Bye. 

Edited by jazzbo

• 6 months later...

Scott (my apologies for the fonts, which I am having problems with)

Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMSPQI

Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XTE6YW

Pro-Ject: Acryl-It Platter Upgrade
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097CY4NQ

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2LG

Edited by GA Russell

17 hours ago, GA Russell said:

Scott (my apologies for the fonts, which I am having problems with)

Onkyo TX-8255 Stereo Receiver
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMSPQI

Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon (Black)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007XTE6YW

Pro-Ject: Acryl-It Platter Upgrade
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097CY4NQ

Pioneer SP-BS22-LR Andrew Jones Designed Bookshelf Loudspeakers
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008NCD2LG

The underbelly of this Project looks remarkably like Rega RP5(?) that my friend had. It had a plastic sub-platter, just like yours. A cost-cutting measure, no doubt. The belt would slip on it. He also bought the acrylic platter, then ended up ditching the Rega all-together. Imho Rega charges much money for so little in terms of what they offer to their consumer...I was somewhat taken aback when I first looked under the platter of that tt.

2228382_plattenspieler_deltadevice_vinyl

I think Regas sound pretty darned good. I've an RP3 and I replaced the sub platter with an all aluminum one from Groovetracer, and also replaced the platter with a Groovetracer Delrin one, and got the Groovetracer underslung counterweight as well. Put an Exact cartridge on it, the white belt, the TTPSU and use the Groovetracer record weight. That's a lot of costly upgrades, but it was fun to do and as a result I feel I have a turntable that really delivers the goods in my system. 

Well, I didn't buy it all new. . . I have two RP3s and the second I bought used with the TTPSU and Exact2. . . so let me see. . . I'm in about 1800 altogether on the used one that I added the Groovetracer upgrades and the white belt to. And it's sitting on a PS Audio PowerBase and VooDoo Cable IsoPods, but that's another (very helpful sonically) matter altogether.

I love the sound since the upgrades (and the Decware ZP3 phono preamp is certainly playing a big part). I'm listening to more and more records and less and less CDs now. 

15 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I think Regas sound pretty darned good. I've an RP3 and I replaced the sub platter with an all aluminum one from Groovetracer, and also replaced the platter with a Groovetracer Delrin one, and got the Groovetracer underslung counterweight as well. Put an Exact cartridge on it, the white belt, the TTPSU and use the Groovetracer record weight. That's a lot of costly upgrades, but it was fun to do and as a result I feel I have a turntable that really delivers the goods in my system. 

You've just proven my point. Rega charges a cool $1,000 for a tt that you will spend another $1,000+ to customize, basically altering almost all parts of it. 

As I wrote - Imho Rega charges much money for so little in terms of what they offer to their consumer...

You are welcome to your opinion though I don't think you've proved anything to me. I think that the 1000 dollar price point of the RP3 gives quite good sound. And the upgrades put it up PAST the next model, the RP6, more like the RP8. I would rather both spend the money incrementally AND enjoy doing the upgrades myself. And I have as a result enjoyed a turntable for a few years and then boosted its performance up a few levels when I wanted to spend the money and do the upgrades. It's a path that works for me. Do whatever works for you.

I heard a few tables before I invested in an RP3. When I heard the RP3 I was excited by THAT sound and the fact that Groovetracer and others make an upgrade path that made sense. So I'm happy with my choice, and enjoying LPs and excited about vinyl playback again.

Edited by jazzbo

You know Scott, I have been getting a lot of enjoyment out of my turntable, and don't begrudge any money spent on it. Don't feel it's a mistake at all. Have no idea why what I spend my money or time on is any business of yours. I'm putting you back on ignore because I am trying to limit my exposure to negativity in my life. 

Edited by jazzbo

That's a very disingenuous reply. Were you more excited to listen to your recordings when you got your new Emotiva system? That's all I meant, that the improvement in sound quality had me more excited to listen to records again. Anyway, maybe someone else can now be the target you use to make yourself feel better about yourself.