Problems with Internet Explorer on Windows 7 computer

J.A.W.

I installed Internet Explorer 11 on my Windows 7 computer and it won't let me quote any previous posts on this site - there are no problems on other boards. It's a nuisance. No quoting problems here with Firefox 24, though. Posting pictures with IE 11 is also a no-no.

Anyone have a solution?

Edited by J.A.W.

Don't think the quoting system is that messy ... I got used to it. And as I've mentioned several times, when you switch to text only mode, it's much easier to get a handle on the quotes in your open posts.

post-174-0-57836500-1382622145_thumb.jpg

That said, I have no urge to ever use MSIE again either, since it seemesd that the thread title was a constant state (or sorrow) with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Not to beat a dead horse, since three other people have already made the same comment, but what's keeping you tied to IE? Granted, I hardly ever use it, as I've been using Firefox (and its predecessors Netscape and Mosaic) for a long time, and alternate between it and Chrome depending on the task at hand.

I've yet to find the browser that works perfectly on all sites; inevitably, there's always one that fails to render or function properly in the browser I'm using at that moment, but switching to another browser almost always resolves the problem. It sounds like you've run into one of those compatibility issues rooted somewhere in the nexus of IE11, Win7, and this site.

I had a similar problem with Opera and my own Early Music forum on one of my computers - the scripts were not compatible. After installing the latest version of the browser everything was okay. I have the impression that when you update Java or Flash or whatever in one browser I doesn't automatically work in all other browsers or software.

If you want to stick with MSIE I'd say download the latest version, uninstall the old one, re-install and have it update all the plug-ins etc.

I had a similar problem with Opera and my own Early Music forum on one of my computers - the scripts were not compatible. After installing the latest version of the browser everything was okay. I have the impression that when you update Java or Flash or whatever in one browser I doesn't automatically work in all other browsers or software.

Some weird things happen still (like jpgs getting centred all of a sudden when you hit the "backwards delete" button whilst typing), but mostly it's good now. Anyway, I always have Firefox open in the background too, often comes in handy.

If you or your computer have made system back ups, sorry don't know how it is called in English, you can go back to before you installed the I.E.11 until they have resoved the problems with it. I've had problems with mozilla firefox in the past and now I always make sure to make a system back up before I install something new, so I'll always have the opportunity to go back.

Unless they've changed it, Microsoft doesn't allow you to roll back Internet Explorer. Once you install a later version, you can't go back. They do a similar thing with Microsoft Office. Once you upgrade, it's practically impossible to go backward.

I'm glad to see you got it running Hans.

FWIW, I have to use IE for some websites, particularly those that use Silverlight.

Unless they've changed it, Microsoft doesn't allow you to roll back Internet Explorer. Once you install a later version, you can't go back. They do a similar thing with Microsoft Office. Once you upgrade, it's practically impossible to go backward.

In my experience you can go back; I uninstalled a later IE version a few times, only to find that an earlier version had reappeared on my PC.

Edited by J.A.W.

A Windows restore point?

Could be, yes. Systeemherstel, kies een herstelpunt voordat het probleem verscheen. :)

In my experience you can go back; I uninstalled a later IE version a few times, only to find that an earlier version had reappeared on my PC.

When you don't have the option "automatically install" on, you will always get a warming what new updates are available. That way you can make a restore point before you install and then you can always go back.

Edited by page

Has the site adjusted to the IE 11 issues? Are folks still having problems? I keep receiving notices that I need to install IE 11 but have avoided doing so because of the many problems that were cited here.

Where do we stand on this? Is there a fix other than not using IE. :lol:

See my post #13.

Has the site adjusted to the IE 11 issues? Are folks still having problems? I keep receiving notices that I need to install IE 11 but have avoided doing so because of the many problems that were cited here.

See my post #13.

Thanks Hans.

I take it "extras" is a new button on IE 11 which gives you that option of "compatibility view" . Do you just go to settings; extras; type in the organissimo.org/forum and hit compatibility view? Did it work for you?

Thanks again.

See my post #13.

Thanks Hans.

I take it "extras" is a new button on IE 11 which gives you that option of "compatibility view" . Do you just go to settings; extras; type in the organissimo.org/forum and hit compatibility view? Did it work for you?

Thanks again.

Go to "extras" (or, in Dutch on my computer, "extra"), then go to "compatibility view settings": the name of the site you're on should already be in the box on that page or, if not, type the address (in this case: www.organissimo.org) in the box and hit "add", then "close".

Edited by J.A.W.