Remember not to sell discs you might want later

Apart from a brief period in the early 80s when I thought I had become too grand for my rock records I've always held on to everything.

I've even got a few U2 records bought in a failed early 90s experiment to stay relevant!

The LPs are now in the loft! They may need to go when I relocate in a few years.

I sold off my rock collection to finance my growing jazz addiction in 2000 and have no regrets. Youtube suits me fine for nostalgia. I always end up reminded why I chose to focus on instrumental music exclusively.

Jazz recordings I was initially cold to are a different matter.

It's hard to imagine selling any Stan Getz, unless it was a duplication. I usually get rid of individual CDs when obtaining a boxed set,

but I haven't pulled the trigger on the 9 volumes of Art Tatum on Storyville.

I rarely have regrets over getting rid of anything. Too much unheard and little heard music remains.

When I was young boy and just discovered Bud Powell, I sold all the Oscar Peterson albums I had until then.

Quote of the day for me. There's an ineffable karmic truth therein. (Apologies to Oscar fans. ;) )

When I was sixteen, I bought a vinyl copy of Expression. It was my second Coltrane record. It scared me, and I sold it the next week. Five years later, I purchased it on compact disc. :alien:

I sold off my rock collection to finance my growing jazz addiction in 2000 and have no regrets. Youtube suits me fine for nostalgia. I always end up reminded why I chose to focus on instrumental music exclusively.

My situation precisely.

But selling the Roost set?! I hope you were in a fugue state!

Selling off old stuff to get new stuff has always been an unfortunate necessity for me. If i was upgrading to a new video game console i would always sell my old console and games to fund the purchase of the new one... it was kind of unavoidable but i mildly regret not having my old consoles especially with the rise in popularity of retro gaming/collecting.

There's a lot of music that i regret selling off or trading, but again it was necessary at the time if i wanted to hear new stuff. Similar to what some have noted here i slowly whittled away my non-jazz collection as i became more obsessed with jazz and HAD to acquire new stuff. I've traded a lot of jazz that i regret having traded; one that sticks out is Paul Bley's Turning Point which was an early purchase that i thought was okay at the time but man would i love it now. It is my policy to not get rid of anything now, but i also think i've gotten better at picking keepers. There has been a lot of stuff that i've ended up re-purchasing.

Having said all that, often i'll play an old videogame or listen to an old album that has strong nostalgic value and after the initial "man, i loved this" moment passes i get bored very quickly. You can't go home again etc...

I tossed all of my early rap (late 70s early 80s) 12 inch singles after a flood. I kept the jazz LPs that were damaged. I simply purchased new sleeves and tossed the covers. Years later I when I get nostalgic and want to listen to the music of my youth I regret not doing the same thing with that darn box of rap.

I've hardly ever sold anything out of my collection (except a scant few obvious duds and duplicates or items replaced by more compehensive follow-up purchases that duplicate the earlier purchases by 100% or are in other ways more desirable - but even those weren't very many).

Maybe this was a mistake because I am running out of shelf space fast both for LPs and CDs but I'd be hard pressed to round up more than, say, 0.5% of the discs I've got if I had to set up a record stall at a garage sale somewhere.

But lately I've come to regret a few late 60s/early 70s hard rock/"classic rock" LPs that I sold about 15 years ago because they really never mattered that much to me (they had been chance purchases in my very early collecting days, probably trying to explore some common ground with what my pals commonly listened to). My son (going on 14) lately has taken a keen interest in Metal bands and much to my surprise (spurred by the lineups at certain festivals that he has followed on late-night TV) this even includes early 70s hard rock acts such as Deep Purple, Alice Cooper and others.

(Hey, so much for him sneering at me at 50+ for listening to (mostly) 55 to 80 year-old music, and him at not quite 14 starting to dig 30 to 40+-year old music! Now who's listening to older stuff? ;))

At any rate, I'd have loved to pass on my copy of that "Lord Sutch Meets Heavy Friends" LP and a few other items to him ... ;)

I flogged a load of stuff, when I needed the cash, through being on the dole or whatever, in the sixties. A lot of it I didn't regret. A lot of it I did regret, but I've got new copies of most of it. I think there are probably a dozen or so albums I haven't yet replaced that I regret, but not seriously, like

Louis Armstrong - W C Handy

Little Richard - RCA sessions with Fred Jackson

Spoon/De Paris - New Orleans blues

Hank Jacobs - So far away

Johnny Taylor - Wanted, one soul singer

Spirit of Memphis - If I should miss heaven

Lloyd Price - This is my band (actually, I REALLY regret that, but I've never seen it since)

Pharoah Sanders & Latin Jazz Quintet - Oh Pharoah speak

Jr Parker - Blues man

Hm, fewer than ten?

MG