Who The F*** Were The Peddlers?

JSngry

Ok, this tune has apparently been revived from Breaking Bad, but I've not yet watched that series (ok, I know, there will be binge-watching at some point, so leave me alone about that, please), but this tune got rocked the hell out of back on DFW AM jazz radio in the 70s & 80s - and was never, ever "back-announced" or whatever it's called. So tonight, just on a whim, I decided to look on You Tube and see what was up, and it didn't take too long for this to come around, again, thanks to Breaking Bad. But who WERE these guys? It's like, cheeseus-maximus, but the hippest cheese of this variety that could possibly exist.

The only thing that would make this better would be if Arthur Prysock was singing. But that didn't happen, so this will have to do, and yes, I'll take it, thank you, and where is AM jazz radio these days, anyway?

I remember them from around 1970 - they appeared on UK TV quite a lot. Slotted into variety shows and talk shows that needed 'sophisticated' instrumental breaks. At the age I was they seemed a bit fuddy-duddy - couldn't compete with ELP!!!!

One of those bands you got the impression the BBC hoped you'd like once you'd got over this rock nonsense. Like Ken Dodd or Julie Felix.

Think their records came with a free one of these:

yr0313sml-190@2x.jpg

Edited by A Lark Ascending

This is like the Buddy Rich band pared down to an organ trio.

And before lounges were filled with Sinatra barfers, hey, the hip lounges could go here!

I mean, yes, bad, but...totally within itself. Anybody can be bad, but to do it like this, to have so many clues that not having a clue is just the opposite of what is going on....I have the highest respect.

I've been racking my brain all day about this. I have memories of them doing a version of 'Spinning Wheel' (the BS+T song) but can't find any evidence. So maybe there was another organ trio around that time of the same ilk. I have memories of the organist wearing dark glasses and emoting a lot.

Around that time I did a holiday job in a seaside restaurant washing dishes. The early 20s chef, son of the owner, used to love this sort of music and express total contempt for the rock music I'd spend my wages on. Seemed to have an impact. He used to bed the waitresses. I'd go home and listen to 21st Century Schizoid Man.

I went to a fondue party once. No wife-swapping. As I didn't have a wife (I blame 21stC Schizoid Man) it wouldn't have been much good if there was.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

Around that time I did a holiday job in a seaside restaurant washing dishes. The early 20s chef, son of the owner, used to love this sort of music and express total contempt for the rock music I'd spend my wages on. Seemed to have an impact. He used to bed the waitresses. I'd go home and listen to 21st Century Schizoid Man.

If only I had been 22 in 1970 instead of 2...

If only I had been 22 in 1970 instead of 2...

I can see why. Listening to 21stC Schizoid Man when it was still relatively new was quite something.

I think my irony might have got lost there. I was thinking more of the waitresses.

Me too! Think being the son of the owner might have had more to do with it than your choice of listening....

However discovering Fripp in the 80s didn't help me with the ladies then and is unlikely to still.

I think my irony might have got lost there. I was thinking more of the waitresses.

Me too! Think being the son of the owner might have had more to do with it than your choice of listening....

However discovering Fripp in the 80s didn't help me with the ladies then and is unlikely to still.

He did very well. His interviews in the early 70s always had references to his many casual conquests alongside his grand thoughts on small mobile intelligent units and why all the other groups were disappointing. I don't think 'Ladies of the Road' was fiction.

This was the way too perfect song for the Breaking Bad soundtrack (series 4. as far as I've got) - they must've laughed out loud when they thought of it. I did when I was watching the sequence

Crystal Blue Persuasion indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C74HhoRuFEs&feature=player_detailpage

apologies, several attempts to embed clip failed

Edited by mjazzg

To embed a YouTube clip, go to Share under the clip in question and copy the address you see. For the clip you posted this is http://youtu.be/C74HhoRuFEs. Then on the forum select Special BBCode. Select Media from the box and paste in the bottom rectangle.

Thanks, here goes

http://youtu.be/C74HhoRuFEs

Edited by mjazzg

Ok, this tune has apparently been revived from Breaking Bad, but I've not yet watched that series (ok, I know, there will be binge-watching at some point, so leave me alone about that, please), but this tune got rocked the hell out of back on DFW AM jazz radio in the 70s & 80s - and was never, ever "back-announced" or whatever it's called. So tonight, just on a whim, I decided to look on You Tube and see what was up, and it didn't take too long for this to come around, again, thanks to Breaking Bad. But who WERE these guys? It's like, cheeseus-maximus, but the hippest cheese of this variety that could possibly exist.

The only thing that would make this better would be if Arthur Prysock was singing. But that didn't happen, so this will have to do, and yes, I'll take it, thank you, and where is AM jazz radio these days, anyway?

This link has a history. They're British.

This link has a history. They're British.

I've watched the whole series (would download it as soon as it was aired in the US) but can't seem to recall this

Yep, very groooovy & cheeeesy

has a Scott Walker ambiance in parts

I own this album and highly recommend it. JSngry's analysis is spot on.

Yes, I concur, having boutghten theat verszt samme package as soon as sseing ti, and it getting here in no mroe than three days, and yes, it is a very muvh "heard to maximum adbandage in small doeses thins, oh well. Jut doo it likt that and hve teh ahahpies for so having done been did, ti.