Joe McPhee - Nation Time: The Complete Recordings

Reissue of the year right here. Looks gorgeous, and comes out Thursday!

* Nation Time, the original LP, complete as issued and remastered
* Black Magic Man, the original LP, complete with two alternate takes of “Song for Lauren”
* The Vassar Sessions, 1970, six unreleased tracks from the Nation Time recording sessions
* Nation Time Preview, 1969, two concert recordings in the run-up to Nation Time
* 60-page liner booklet, full-color, stocked with never-published vintage photos
* Definitive Nation Time interview with Joe McPhee by John Corbett

Screen-Shot-2013-10-19-at-4.50.39-PM.png

http://www.corbettvsdempsey.com/2013/10/19/joe-mcphees-nation-time-box-set/

No, Corbett vs. Dempsey also did Glasses and Variations on a Blue Line/'Round Midnight a couple years back. They said they would do more (including Phillip Wilson's Esoteric) and I hope that they do.

But yeah, Hat's not looking good.

Completely forgot about those. Have had access to the original vinyl and made copies. Now, I will have to order them as well.

It's like when Atvastic started reissuing FMP releases before FMP imploded, or whatever the real story about what happened.

not listed on Dusty Groove yet (best place to get the Corbett vs Dempsey releases)

You mean beside directly from C vs D? ;)

Edited by Blue Train

No, Corbett vs. Dempsey also did Glasses and Variations on a Blue Line/'Round Midnight a couple years back. They said they would do more (including Phillip Wilson's Esoteric) and I hope that they do.

Completely forgot about those. Have had access to the original vinyl and made copies. Now, I will have to order them as well.

It's like when Atvastic started reissuing FMP releases before FMP imploded, or whatever the real story about what happened.

not listed on Dusty Groove yet (best place to get the Corbett vs Dempsey releases)

The earlier C vs D reissues were noticeably needle drops anyway so you've beaten them to it Blue Train

The earlier C vs D reissues were noticeably needle drops anyway so you've beaten them to it Blue Train

Well, if they're needle drops....I will pass. Makes me wonder about Black Magic Man.

How could they get alternate takes by doing needle drop? Just edit out a few seconds here and there and call it "alternate"? ;)

Yeah, I thought about that...but something just doesn't sound right. There are tapes for the very first Hat Hut....but not the other two later ones they had to needle drop on? Uehlinger doesn't come across as someone who would throw out the original tapes....especially anything by McPhee. The whole thing started to record McPhee.

It's like Chuck throwing out AACM related tapes, or any tapes.

Edited by Blue Train

How could they get alternate takes by doing needle drop? Just edit out a few seconds here and there and call it "alternate"? ;)

Yeah, I thought about that...but something just doesn't sound right. There are tapes for the very first Hat Hut....but not the other two later ones they had to needle drop on? Uehlinger doesn't come across as someone who would throw out the original tapes....especially anything by McPhee. The whole thing started to record McPhee.

The early Joe McPhee records on CJR were put out by Craig Johnson and McPhee. Uehlinger and Hat didn't come into the picture until a little later.

The early Joe McPhee records on CJR were put out by Craig Johnson and McPhee. Uehlinger and Hat didn't come into the picture until a little later.

Yes I know, but we're talking about Hat Hut recordings and not the CJR. Even the CJR reissues by Avatastic were not needle drops.

P.S. Keep in mind; I haven't heard C vs D's reissues of Glasses and Variations on a Blue Line/'Round Midnight to confirm they were needle drops.

Edited by Blue Train

I'll probably end up buying this even though "nation time" doesn't impress me as much as "the willisau concert" or the "po music" records from the late 70s/early 80s.

I'm a sucker for lavish box sets that I usually never get the time to listen to completely ;/

Me too!

Make it three (sigh)...

I wouldn't know if the tapes stood with Uehlinger or went with McPhee. Remember Uehlinger was a newbie then, he actually just made this McPhee record, then another one, and one more ... and eventually started his label, while still working a day job (which had initially led to his travels and the chance to meet McPhee in the first place). So it's not like he was this exacting record label guy from the git go, rather to me his story sounds like fortuna was in place, too.

But why don't anyone send a mail to C vs D and inqire?