New World's Strongest Beer

The arms race of ever-high-alcohol beers is not really surprising given human nature, but I would guess this novelty doesn't taste particularly good.

Something else to point out....this is going to have obscene calories. End of the World was over 1600 calories. This brewery's 65% "Armageddon" was over 1900 calories.

Edited by Blue Train

that would be 135 proof. very few whiskeys reach that threshold.

Thanks, Aloc.

I thought you halved the ABV % to get the proof number. Apparently you double it. :blink:

The arms race of ever-high-alcohol beers is not really surprising given human nature, but I would guess this novelty doesn't taste particularly good.

No doubt.

Must taste like battery acid and burn all the way down.

Thanks, Aloc.

I thought you halved the ABV % to get the proof number. Apparently you double it. :blink:

No doubt.

Yep. 200 proof is 100 percent alcohol. I think Everclear was something like 190 proof. (Obviously not beer.)

A 12-ounce can would have about 1300 calories...but most people would be out cold well before that point since this stuff is literally 10x stronger than a typical beer.

I don't really understand how this can be called beer. Is it even possible to get up to 60% abv with only brewing and without distilling? I'd think that saccharomyces yeast cannot survive to continue fermenting once it's sitting in something above about 20% abv.

A 12-ounce can would have about 1300 calories...but most people would be out cold well before that point since this stuff is literally 10x stronger than a typical beer.

I don't really understand how this can be called beer. Is it even possible to get up to 60% abv with only brewing and without distilling? I'd think that saccharomyces yeast cannot survive to continue fermenting once it's sitting in something above about 20% abv.

Both the End of the World and Armageddon were/are 12 ounces.

More malt (dry/liquid) is the most common way. You can also add in more sugar but that makes it really sweet. With good quality yeast it shouldn't be a problem....there are also turbo yeasts.

Strongest I have had that was still good was Mikkeller (Heavy Black) & Samuel Adams' Utopios. The one everyone raves about that no longer is around (is retired long before I could ever drink it) is Hair of the Dog's Dave. Every so often someone sells some @ obscene prices.

Normally, I don't go more than the 20's....and even then not often....generally Dogfish Head. After that point it's time for Single Malt. ;)

Edited by Blue Train

More malt (dry/liquid) is the most common way. You can also add in more sugar but that makes it really sweet. With good quality yeast it shouldn't be a problem....there are also turbo yeasts.

No, this will get you something that's strong for a beer (~8-18%), but definitely does not work beyond 20% abv or so. "High alcohol tolerant" yeast strains like champagne yeast can survive to about this level, but die once you get above it. It appears extreme-beer makers generally distill "through the back door" via freezing the product of fermentation and skimming off the water. That's not beer in my book.

No, this will get you something that's strong for a beer (~8-18%), but definitely does not work beyond 20% abv or so. "High alcohol tolerant" yeast strains like champagne yeast can survive to about this level, but die once you get above it. It appears extreme-beer makers generally distill "through the back door" via freezing the product of fermentation and skimming off the water. That's not beer in my book.

Not a brewer myself, but I know those who do....I will have to ask but I do know enough chemistry that the temperature would have to be obscenely low/dangerous for fractional freezing to be used to get it to a 67.5 abv.

Edited by Blue Train

Thanks, Aloc.

No doubt.

Yep. 200 proof is 100 percent alcohol. I think Everclear was something like 190 proof. (Obviously not beer.)

There is a Polish vodka that's 192, which was approved for sale in a few states in the U.S.

spirytus_rektyfikowany__34888.1337200616

There is also now a Single Malt by Bruichladdich quadrupled distilled to 185. First time in like 400 years there as been quadrupled distilled.

Bruichladdich.jpg

Edited by Blue Train

Thanks, Aloc.

No doubt.

Holy crap!

Back when I was in my 20s, I tried Everclear on a dare. I was told it was 100% alcohol. So that is 200 proof? Wow.

Burned like a M----- F-----, but it put me on my ass.

Not a brewer myself, but I know those who do....I will have to ask but I do know enough chemistry that the temperature would have to be obscenely low/dangerous for fractional freezing to be used to get it to a 65 abv.

Have heard from friends who know their thing about brewing and chemistry to drop the knowledge. There are yeasts that have been developed that will get you to the 30 range; however, to get to 67.5 abv they would need to use a combination of beer and wine yeast....and freeze it down to around -78 to - 79 Celsius, or around -108 -110 Fahrenheit....their consensus is dry ice and Isopropanol is used to do it.

Edited by Blue Train

Thanks, Aloc.

No doubt.

Holy crap!

Back when I was in my 20s, I tried Everclear on a dare. I was told it was 100% alcohol. So that is 200 proof? Wow.

Burned like a M----- F-----, but it put me on my ass.

As he pointed out.....Everclear is 190, or 95%.

No, this will get you something that's strong for a beer (~8-18%), but definitely does not work beyond 20% abv or so. "High alcohol tolerant" yeast strains like champagne yeast can survive to about this level, but die once you get above it.

It appears extreme-beer makers generally distill "through the back door" via freezing the product of fermentation and skimming off the water.

That's not beer in my book.

Me too. :D

Perhaps usefull for beer cocktails? :(