lookin'...chet baker "the newport years"

Soul Stream

was watching the baker documentary "let's get lost" and it had a great version of "walkin." just about 30 seconds or so, but it made me "have to have it!" man, it really sounded great.

it's on a live 50's cd called "the Newport Years" vol 1, chet baker quartet....anybody ever heard of it or got it???

The CD was on Philology

Walkin' is an 8.10 long track (including Chet's announcements)

It's followed by You Don't Know What Love Is( vocal )

then Gerry Mulligan joind the quartet for Five Brothers

Then Bob Brookmeyer and Al Cohn join in for Tiny's Blues

The next track is by the Dave Brubeck Quartet with Chet Baker, Mulligan and Clifford Brown sitting in for Tea for Two.

The rest of the CD is made up of the two tracks of Chet with Caterina Valente doing the vcals and guitar work... I'll Remember April / Everytime we say Goodbye

Yardbird Suite from thr Haig recordings in 53 when Stan Getz sat in for the Gerry Mulligan

Night in Tunisia /You Don't Know What Love is from1955, May tv appearance on the Tonight Show

and closes with two tracks from1956 with the Kurt Edelhagen Big Band

Bochanal

Baker 56

The Newport recordings sound like "live" recordings.. Chets tone sounds a bit "pinched".. until the Mulligan appearance.There are some off miking of the musicians etc as one would expect from these types of Newport recordings. Tea for Two especially, the interplay between Mulligan and Desmond is a bit muddy, as is the piano solo and in general the track has a bit ragged sound, especially as it comes to an end with fours being swapped between the front line and the drummer.The two trumpets then play off each other.. but the track is cut off suddenly as though the tape ran out, so in effect, its an incomplete track.

The Valente's are quite rare as they were I believe, only issued as a 45 RPM single.

The Tonight show appearance resulted in short tracks, as might be expected but it's interesting that Chet chose Night in Tunisia, not a tune especially associated with him during this period (55) when he was at the height of his popularity. Again not super clean recordings. The piano backing to the vocal on You Don't Know, which is vocal only, sounds like an old army blanket had been stuffed inside it. Maybe these are from somebody's home taping of the show.

Chet sounds like he enjoyed the Big Band recordings.

It's an interesting CD for collectors due to the unusual combinations of musicians. It was called THe Newport Years Vol 1.. never saw any other volumes. I would be interested to learn if Clifford Brown had any more Newport recordings issued from his appearance there in 55

Edited by P.D.

I have this version of "Walkin" on a 2cd set from Proper, The Gold Collectin, R2CD 40-86. A budget issue. It's a collection of live Baker from 1955-1963. It seems to duplicate the Newport tracks but the remainder are European small group recordings. Incidentally there is no mention of Clifford Brown in the notes. I'l have to play it again.

Edited by JohnS

John S.. Clifford is referred to in the personnel, but not in the notes of the Philology. The Tea for Two track gets quite Muddy at the end, but it does sound like a second trumpet player is there, playing more agressively than Baker. There is no mention of this in the discographies I have access to.

Anybody know for sure? Did Brown play Newport in July 55?

Edited by P.D.

I think I read somewhere that Clifford was not scheduled to appear with the group, but surprised them by coming on stage trumpet at the ready.. The second trumpet seems absent from the opening ensembles.. but this could be a "trick of my ever waning memory". I searched a few of the old magazines that I thought might have been the source, but came up "cold in Hand"

Through the mud.. it sounds like it could be Brownie

Does your Proper box set end this track suddenly, or have you more?There's about 9 mins on the Philology.. but there is no satisfactory conclusion to this track.

I am pretty sure that the Clifford Brown connection with the Chet Baker 'The Newport

Years' on Philology stems from the fact that Philology released another volume

(I have a LP copy somewhere), this one was entitled 'Trumpet Geniuses of Fifties'

Clifford Brown/Chet Baker that included a track in which Clifford Brown was heard

practising on 'Cherokee'. Just for fanatics.

Should have done some homework first. Did that last night.

Clifford Brown was at the 1955 Newport Festival. He played there with

the Brown/Roach Quintet.

Check this:

Clifford Brown Photos

and go to the Newport image.

I also listened to the 'Tea for Two' jam on the Philology CD.

And the second trumpet player really sounds like Clifford Brown.

The sound on the Newport tracks is off. Part of the problem may be tape

speed which should have been corrected.

Does anybody have the "Let's Get Lost" video who can listen to the "Walkin'" track on it? The end credits just list it as 'owned by Capitol' or something to that effect when the "walkin" credit comes up. I'm getting more perplexed as it's clear the Newport version is Not the one on the video. Other than that, i see no other version of "walkin" that Baker ever did....

Does anybody have the "Let's Get Lost" video who can listen to the "Walkin'" track on it?  The end credits just list it as 'owned by Capitol' or something to that effect when the "walkin" credit comes up.  I'm getting more perplexed as it's clear the Newport version is Not the one on the video.  Other than that, i see no other version of "walkin" that Baker ever did....

I have two other versions of Walkin' by Baker

June 64 was on a Colpix album, mine is a Jazz Junction CD that I picked up out of a junk bin

Has Phil Urso on tenor, Hal Galper, Jymmie Merrit and Charlie Rice..... it's played slower than usual

Chet sings, but lyrics, sings directly after the ensemble theme

" Love is a quite the Joker

Likes to have his fun..... etc

then Urso

Then Chet sings another chorus

There is no Baker trumpet solo on this version

the other is from the concert with Lee Konitz on India Navigation from april 74.... this is only a partial and is cut off after Chet solos.. no vocal

Edited by P.D.