Does anyone else play the bass clarinet like Dolphy?

l p

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only one Dolphy and I'm not knowledgeable enough to answer your question, but...

David Murray does play with Aylerish squeaks and upper register activity. His Ballads For Bass Clarinet is one of my all time favourite albums.

http://youtu.be/zj4oY86OUBk

It's long out of print, but Downtown Music Gallery has some sealed copies left. eBay link

Edited by erwbol

Although I am a fan of Murray as well, I have to agree with those that have already intimated that no one really plays bass clarinet like Dolphy. I know that Rudi Mahall has done some things in tribute to Dolphy, but even he does not necessarily sound like him. I recently listened to a recording by the Minnesota based Out To Lunch Quintet, which as you can guess is dedicated to Dolphy's music. I can't remember the reed player's name right now, but he seemed to have some Dolphyisms in his playing, but I suspect it was because of the project.

I realise it's a bit crass to post something of mine, but there's a player over here in the UK called Shabaka Hutchings who I think is a phenomenal bass clarinettist, and has absorbed certain elements of Dolphy's language for sure...he solos first on this tune if you fancy checking him out: http://babel-label.bandcamp.com/track/step-wide-step-deep-space-of-time-danced-thru

His own band is called 'Sons of Kemet', and is really great, although he tends to play more tenor and 'normal' Bb clarinet in that...

Edited by Alexander Hawkins

Love Sclavis, but I never think of Dolphy hearing him. He has his own sound that you know it's Sclavis.

P.S. Nothing personal Andrew....but Shabaka Hutchings (at least on that track) is like listening to one of the Coltrane clones....or like some tribute rock band. They sound so much like them...there is no them in it....and I can just listen to Coltrane, or those bands....and Dolphy.

Edited by Blue Train

I heard a really great modern classical bass clarinetist a good 10+ years ago who replicated Dolphy's sound amazingly, though I think he played through-composed solos (and what I heard was his tribute to Dolphy, on solo bass clarinet). Dutch, iirc, and his name was Harry

Sparnaay.

Really fantastic, for what it was -- though it certainly wasn't anything beyond what is was -- i.e. "jazz" it was not.

Dolphy's version of "Softly as a Summer Sunrise" EDIT: it was Dolphy's version of "God Bless the Child" that I heard -- may have been is what I heard Sparnaay play, though it's been a good 10-12 years. Heard it as an encore on a modern classical concert, that Sparnaay was the headliner of.

Edited by Rooster_Ties

A vote for Marty Ehrlich. Dolphy-inspired -- he has some of ED's elasticity in his tone, though he's not as daring in his intervallic leaps) -- but Erhlich has his own voice on the instrument.

Marty+Ehrlich+-+Song.jpg

LINE ON LOVE is also very good. If you end up liking him, there's A LOT of Ehrlich to hear (and not just on Enja).

Also, among younger players, Jason Stein is worth checking out.

Among the European players, Rudi Mahall, for sure. But Michel Portal before Sclavis... just my personal preference, of course.

I think the easiest thing is a list of Bass Clarinets not named Dolphy. Unless we're talking about tribute/clones like what Alexander Hawkins posted.

Like I said, I can (and I am sure many others) can (and several have done) mention/list Bass Clarinets with their own sound....but Dolphy, is Dolphy in my book.

How anyone thinks Murray is in the same Universe is another discussion.

Edited by Blue Train

Eric Dolphy's bass clarinet is one of the many beauties of jazz. I recall being taken by it in the earliest days of my jazz listening when I was largely listening in a fog.

As others have said I've no interest in finding another Dolphy but I'm always drawn to recordings with bass clarinet featured. Leaving aside the 'who's best?' silliness, I'd agree with sidewinder and Alex about their choices and would add in John Surman (not used so much as in the 70s) and Julian Siegel amongst the interesting Brits.

Interested in that Jason Stein recommendation. Never heard of him but will explore.