Blue Train

Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre, R.I.P.

43 posts in this topic

The AACM posted a Rest in Peace for him.

Be well....

Edited by Blue Train

Very sad indeed

Kalaparusha at the edge of the horizon, indeed

Here it as it was performed in dedication to the great saxophonist by William Parker's In Order to Survive in June 2012 on the recent box set. An amazing experience to see the suite from the first row. Big props for William's support for Kalaparusha during his final difficult time on this earth.

Peace and Blessings

Edited by Steve Reynolds

RIP. What a fantastic sound he had!

Sad news indeed.

King Ubu: thank you so much for posting the video. I confess to "sleeping" on this man. I knew nothing about him. sad but poignant film. glad it was made, just like his cd was completed. i'm assuming he passed at 77 years old. is that correct?

RIP.

We'll never hear the true sound of these formative free jazz giants again. The ones that came up when the Blues was still the Blues. I'm glad we got to hear some of it recently again.

I remember seeing him in NYC a number of years ago at a Vision Fest concert. He very quietly and without fanfare (looking like he just came from busking on the streets) joined the group already on stage and I remember being really impressed by his sound and his approach that stood out even in the large group free blow-out that was going on. One of those moments you don't forget.

Kalaparusha's presence will be missed, but I'm confident he's now in a place where he can behold God's sunshine even more fully.

So long to an instantly recognizable voice. I discovered him as a teenager when I checked out George Freeman's Birth Sign LP from the public library, and I've been a fan ever since.

A crucial, brutally honest voice. Does anyone know if/when the album 'Closeness' is coming out?

Farewell to a man who always played himself.

Thanks, Mr. McIntyre.

Crucial and brutally honest musician, yes, and also a gentle, soft-spoken man. For all his troubles in recent decades he was still a soulful, imaginative artist. Thanks for letting us know, Blue Train.

And god damn it all to hell.

I heard from Ravish Momin yesterday afternoon that he had passed. What a drag. Met him a few times, and he was very sweet and kind. Still had that "sound."

He played some of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.