Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre, R.I.P.

Blue Train

He was such a beautiful creator and he was so important in the evolving history of Chicago jazz - playing in his bands and in the Abrams and Braxton and Mitchell bands of the '60s, the Abrams sextet of the '70s that played every week at the Jazz Showcase. His own bands, especially in the 1970s, in time got into extremely intense, fierce music. Finally he too moved out of Chicago, and after that it often seemed he'd lost his confidence. Especially in fairly recent years. Used to play clarinet with a lovely rich sound but apparently gave that up long ago.

There's good writing about him in the George Lewis book. Kalaparush said the first time he went to NYC he went to a club in Harlem to hear Hank Mobley. There, a man standing next to him said, "You're burning a hole in your pants with your cigarette." Kalaprush: "Shh! Hank's playing!"

A photo from the 2010 Vision fest:

Kalaparusha_6-26-10-210.jpg

In the intro to the Kalaparusha memorial yesterday, Phil Schaap talked briefly about seeing him playing on the street often, in the Village (near Christopher St?) in years past and in Columbus Circle more recently. The final time he saw K. there he was playing-- get this-- (& hope I'm remembering this right) the old Billy Reid tune "The Gypsy," which we all know from Bird, Pops, et al.

Because Phil recognized the tune, he said he began singing it sotto voce which Kalaparusha noticed & asked him to step up so they could do perform together. Now, Schaap has his 'issues' (much exaggerated by his detractors) but pride in his own musical ability is absolutely NOT one of them so he said he politely declined, put some $$$ in the tin to encourage others & that's it.

Edited by MomsMobley

Yes, thanks Uli for posting that.

BTW does anyone know whether his album "Closeness" is any nearer coming out?

Are we sure there ever was to be a "Closeness" album? I assumed there would be when I saw the Parra film (above), but then noticed the track called "Closeness" on the "Extremes" CD and - with the similar lineup - decided I was wrong.

I'd guess the people who know for sure are Cadence/CIMP - but they seem to have closed up shop (?).

Threadgill always referred to him as 'Difda'. As we know, he's not the only member of that large group of musicians who was marginalized by the music 'industry', or whatever you want to call it. I felt bad for him, although I never met him one to one. He looks so vibrant and powerful in the photographs from the sixties and early seventies, so elderly and diminished in recent years. I assume that dental problems contributed to some of his loss of playing ability, but I'm not one to comment on this having no direct knowledge. It's a rough life, and those musicians should be celebrated for the risks and sacrifices they take to play their music with such small prospect of any reward. God bless him and his kind.

Threadgill always referred to him as 'Difda'. As we know, he's not the only member of that large group of musicians who was marginalized by the music 'industry', or whatever you want to call it. I felt bad for him, although I never met him one to one. He looks so vibrant and powerful in the photographs from the sixties and early seventies, so elderly and diminished in recent years. I assume that dental problems contributed to some of his loss of playing ability, but I'm not one to comment on this having no direct knowledge. It's a rough life, and those musicians should be celebrated for the risks and sacrifices they take to play their music with such small prospect of any reward. God bless him and his kind.

unfortunately and sadly, I would guess that his drug use also played a part in his diminishment. God bless him, indeed.

Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre in the New Yorker written by Taylor Ho Bynum. Beautiful, insightful. Please read. http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/culture/2013/11/postscript-kalaparusha-maurice-mcintyre-1936-2013.html

Thanks for posting that, uli. A fine tribute.

Posted a comment there.