Musical instruments you could do without in jazz.

Are there any musical instruments that you don't care to hear in jazz?

I can't personally think of any, but I do have a healthy dislike for muted trumpets. Apologies to Miles and all that, but the muted trumpet irritates my inner ear and I react as I would to someone dragging their finger nails across a blackboard.

I do love the trumpet very much, and it's even one of my favorite instruments; but get that plunger out of the bell!

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Conn, which mutes rub you wrong? Miles rarely used a "plunger" mute, but he used a harmon. I don't take offense, but an across-the-board dismissal of trumpet mutes will surely invite the need for some clarification, given the amount of mutes that exist and variety of tonal characteristics that they bring. Playing the trumpet myself, I'd like to hear about this distaste!!! ... :blink:

Any object stuck into the bell which then makes it give out the awful screeeeching sound! I often have to rush to my sound volume and turn the music down.

Hmm... one of my least favorite sounds in jazz is a "screeching" trumpet, but I don't associate that with the use of mutes. I'll have to confess my general ignorance on the subject of who screeched (and who did it the loudest and held their notes the longest, etc) and when, because I always turn that stuff off (whether it's Cootie, or Maynard, or Faddis, or whoever it might be). Ouch. I don't dig it.

Electric piano

EKE, you know of course that also EKE played electric piano... ;)

There's no instrument I really dislike - it's more the use of an instrument that can get on my nerves. Synthesizer, then would be the most obvious thing, in my case. (I once read an interview with Joe Zawinul, where he showed himself very astonished that such great musicians as Herbie Hancock would loose the last bit of taste when playing synths...)

Uh, I like the flute, I like vibes, I like organs (though Glenn Hardman on that date with Lester Young... as I said the use of can bother me), also I like the violin, the accordion... and the soprano sax - I cannot listen to Shorter on soprano all the time. Trane's alright with me, as is Steve Lacy (most often).

ubu

the goddamn oboe.

The ill wind that nobody blows good!

:lol:

O c'mon! There's some pretty good Lateef things on oboe! Check out his See See Rider with Zawinul/Sam Jones/Louis Hayes on Cannonball in Europe (the Adderleys lay out on that track), or his playing on "Brother John" on Cannonball's Nippon Soul... I wouldn't be without that!

ubu

Clarinet, and flute.

But Howard Johnson's bass clarinet on Andrew Hill's Passing Ships just blows me away, and there's also some flute playing on various Cedar Walton recordings that I enjoy, too.

So what the hell do I know?

I guess having problems with the clarinet is the perspective of a listener of bebop and later styles.

I myself have nothing against the clarinet, there are several musicians I really like - Jimmy Giuffre being the first one that comes to mind. Then all the older guys, Jimmy Hamilton, Barney Bigard, Edmond Hall, some musicians not usually thought of as clarinet players like Harry Carney (also on bass clarinet, on his strings album), or Lester Young. Then there's Pee Wee Russell...

I listened to some Jelly Roll this morning, and Omer Simeon sure is a great musician!

And these are just the players that come to mind instantly.

On the other hand, musicians like Tony Scott or Buddy DeFranco (who sure had lots of technique at their disposal, and that is something, on the clarinet - a very hard instrument to master!) may sound shrill every now and again. DeFranco certainly was no perfect match for the Basie small group, for instance (his replacement Marshall Royal fits in a lot better, I think), and Scott was too outgoing at moments, I think (for instance on some tracks of the otherwise real good quartet albums with Bill Evans). Now this has not much to do with the instrument at hand (there's some terrible tenor players, too), but rather with the way it is played, it is approached. The recordings Giuffre and Russell made together, for instance, are far from being shrill, and belong to my favorite clarinet recordings.

I guess to get to like the clarinet, there's two or three ways: if you like avant garde, get the Giuffre/Bley/Swallow early sixties records (a 2CD set on ECM reissuing two Verve LPs, as well as Giuffre's masterpiece "Free Fall" on Columbia/Sony/Legacy). If you like west coast jazz, try some Giuffre Atlantic stuff. And if you like early jazz, well, you like the clarinet. Rather: the third way (in case you're not into early jazz that much), check out some of the musicians I mentioned (sure, there are many more, Sidney Bechet, Albert Nicholas...), and maybe this will start a new love affair between you and the clarinet, and you and early jazz...

ubu

Oh, vocalese too--think of New Perspective, I'm Trying to get Home and Lift Every Voice without the choir!!!

Good one Peter!

Forgot to mention vocalese. Could definitely do without it in jazz.

I don't mind the soprano sax at all. Don't you like Coltrane's "My Favorite Things," Moose?

The more contemporary Joe Ford plays decent soprano.

Someone also mentioned the use of flute for solo purposes. That's very perceptive. I share that opinion. Flutes are fine in general but don't lend themselves well in jazz solos.