Mark Lewisohn - Tune In

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2013/11/early-days-beatles?fsrc=scn/fb/wl/bl/beforetheywerebig

A 946-page Beatles book that runs up to 1963, part 1 of a projected trilogy. Lewisohn is among the few I trust when it comes to the Beatles, so I am very excited for this. Hopefully this soon-to-be definitive account will erase that Bob Spitz disaster from all history.

The Beatles were a big part of my youth, but strangely, I've never read a book on them and probably never will.

How is the writing style? I will read bios/histories only if they read like a good novel. I am not into technical or clinical writers who obsess over dates and restaurant tabs yet demonstrate no storytelling skills.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

The UK "Extended Edition" of volume 1 is now available in America:

Tune In V. 1 Extended Edition

I'm tempted to eventually get this, because I enjoyed the abridged edition so much and because a good friend who posts here from time to time has told me it's worth the deep dive. Still no ETA from Lewisohn for Volume 2, but it'll probably be out by the time I finish reading this!

On November 11, 2013 at 11:17 AM, colinmce said:

Remains to be seen. Minutiae is Lewisohn's forte, but I trust him to craft a strong narrative. If this project comes off it will be the Path to Power (Robert Caro's LBJ series) of rock bios.

What did you think of Volume 1? I think he did indeed craft a strong narrative... I found myself setting aside time to read it every single day once I started.

• 1 year later...

I've now taken the plunge and ordered a copy of the Extended Edition of V. 1.  Btw, a poster at Hoffman said last autumn that he'd just attended a small private party at which Lewisohn spoke, and that Lewisohn projected V. 2 to be on track for publication in "five years"--which would mean 2023--and for V. 3 to appear around 2030.