Universal "Pure Audio" Blu-ray Audio releases

jazzbo

Anyone else try any of these?

I have the Miles Davis (Lift to the Scaffold) on order, and have received A Love Supreme.

A Love Supreme has all the material that was on the Deluxe Edition, but remastered by Kevin Reeves. This sounds wonderful to me. My Blu-ray player has a very nice analog output section and sound is generally excellent from this machine. ALS sounds really really good, lots of detail and very spacious. The live material also sounds great. Looking forward to the Miles and may add a few more jazz titles to the collection. . . .

Interested to hear any other impressions.

I bought a bunch recently, but not many where I have the chance (and even then, not the intention) to do a comparison. I'm hoping they will sound very good (that's been my experience with music blu-rays, with audio & video, mostly classical). They're priced reasonably here in Singapore, at least the few I've found.

I agree about the rebuying, I only do it for certain artists and titles, admittedly I'm tempted by more than I should be, and I have money in the bank and stuff happens. I've explored a lot of new music too, but find actually more diminishing returns in that aspect. There really is less and less new music for me to explore that I have a big interest in. Result of decades of collecting I guess and learning what you like and what you don't.

e, yes, I did a brief comparison. They're both nice releases. SACD is different than 96/24. To my ears, on my system, there is more "ambiance" on the Blu-ray, and a richer, "slower," more fleshy sound on the Analog Productions. Both are great. The Blu-ray includes the live concert in stunning sound.

Edited by jazzbo

Thanks for posting your impressions! The Deluxe version from 2000 was a RVG remastering job?

I have purchased just the Ella & Louis Blu-ray Audio since it contains the whole "Again" double LP. However, the sound is just a reproduction of the commonly available remasters. So, not an upgrade. The APO SACDs are miles ahead but the "Again" SACD include just the half of the original double LP.

Alex

Yes, the Deluxe was RVG (I like it, sue me). This is Reeves.

I like it as well. The impressive is that they actually remastered again for this Blu-ray Audio? IIRC, the latest ALS CD is a Reeves remaster, but it does not inlcude the extra Deluxe tracks... Interesting and tempting!

Thanks!

I also like the Deluxe RVG. That and the APO SACD form part of my collection now.

The Reeves Impulse Originals remaster is a different matter. It is LOUD and annoying on headphones, but I'm sure that is down to Verve setting guidelines for a particular series, and not down to Mr. Reeves's hearing or preferences. The Blues and the Abstract Truth Originals is similarly annoying, but mastered by someone other than Kevin Reeves.

Good thing they let Reeves remaster again with different standards for this Blu-ray.