Update on the Miles Davis movie.

Hardbopjazz

The way I see it is that someone has taken on the task to honor Miles. 

As Jazz fans, why should we bitch about that? 

Good, bad, or indifferent, it's a big budget movie about one of our musical heroes. 

From a marginalized genre. 

More, please...

I don't have a problem with it being made, I just don't think I need to see it.
I like Don Cheadle and I think this is his personal project. I hope it does well.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Miles Davis invented the Twitter hashtag in the eighties! BBC

The closing credits feature Cheadle’s Miles in concert during the early ‘80s, wearing a leather jacket with an insignia that says #SocialMusic. “Social music” is the term that Miles thinks should be used instead of jazz (“a made-up word,” he says derisively), but all I could think was: nothing was marked with a hashtag in the ‘80s! Surely Cheadle knows this, but the idea seems to be that as a filmmaker, he can be as loose and improvisatory as he wants to be. He may even think that he’s working in the spirit of jazz. But biographical dramas, unlike jazz, need to be grounded in reality. And Cheadle’s performance, while it makes Miles Ahead worth seeing, should have been grounded in a more focused and tough-minded movie.

★★☆☆☆

• 2 weeks later...

If you're making a straight biographical drama then it needs to be grounded in reality.  Obviously Cheadle did not intend this movie to be a straight biographical drama, but something a little more experimental and free-flowing, the reviewer might try actually reviewing the film he is watching...not the film he expected to be watching