Fer Urbina

Stanley Crouch Parker biography reviewed

458 posts in this topic

That's Joan Watson. Hell yeah.

I hadn't read this thread is some time, but I independently ended up taking a similar approach to Jim S. I really wanted to like this book and went out of my way to buy it. I DO like parts of it. Other parts really drag, and Crouch's tendency to go off for pages on distant tangents of little relation to Bird can be annoying. After more than a month, I have also have not been able to finish it, but will keep plugging away every now and again.

want a second copy? In case you accidentally set fire to the first?

If I set fire to the first, it probably won't be an accident. :)

Enjoying it - looking forward to part 2 where the real action lies - and Stanley's take on that.

Q

FWIW, I'll bet that part 2 never emerges -- given the amount of material involved, Stanley's approach in part 1, and the time it took him to write part 1.

FWIW, I'll bet that part 2 never emerges -- given the amount of material involved, Stanley's approach in part 1, and the time it took him to write part 1.

Well I'd say that pointing this out here, now, is better than jumping in to the inevitable RIP thread with "hey, at least he never finished Volume 2 of his Bird book!"

Finally finished. Overall, glad that I read it, although damn, that was a lot harder than it should have been. Great raw data about Bird, good intentions (sincerely, I believe that), just...not a good final product. Or perhaps more accurately, a lot more necessary of a writing than a successful one.

I anxiously await the white label remix.