2013-14 Hot Stove League

JSngry

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tigers send $30 million cash along.

So now, wither Mitch Moreland, Nelson Cruz, and long-term DH? Prince kinda renders all that irrelevant, just not at the same time.

I sure will miss Ian, though, watching him and Elvis was like never growing old. So, c'mon Jurickson, it's your time now.

So I haven't checked in for a few days..... Goodie and Blue Train got banned?? I guess they had a blow out? Too bad.

I hadn't known that either, just noticed the new, traditional hot stove thread. Sorry to see Goodie go, we had our tiffs but I didn't need to keep him on 'ignore'.

Blue Train on the other hand was the worst sort of troll the board has ever attracted. I mean he actually went after Lon in that pic thread. Utterly useless waste of pixels.

The thing about that trade (Fielder, Kinsler, not Burke Badenhop for Luis Ortega, ;) )

Is who bats behind Cabrera now? Even though Josh Hamilton had a pretty crappy year with the Angels, I think it's fairly safe to say the Rangers missed what offense he supplied in the past. One of the reasons the Rangers got Fielder, correct?

And as big as Fielder is, he played in every game last year. In fact, he has missed 1 game in the past 5 years. Who knows which guys will fall off the table at what age? Who would have though David Ortiz would be the most feared hitter in the playoffs, at 37?

Obviously, some people just fall off a cliff (Andruw Jones last good season was at 29) but better hitters by and large seem to hold on to their goodness, if not greatness.

I'd rather have Fielder at 37, than Cano at 40 if someone is dumb enough to give him a 10 year deal.

Funny to see the Tigers cry poor...or something. People still seem to be eating a lot of pizza...and teams are trying to stay real quiet about this, but every team in baseball is getting an extra 25 Mil a year from the new MLB tv contract . Shhh, don't let the fans know , they might not believe us if we say we can't spend any money this offseason. :smirk:

Guess the Tigers can use this "Savings" to re-sign Johnny Peralta for mere 56 to 75 Mil

Here's a different perspective on the trade and its longer-term meaning for both teams: http://www.minorleagueball.com/2013/11/21/5130606/tigers-rangers-prince-fielder-ian-kinsler-jurickson-profar-nick-castellanos-trade

It wasn't that any one player failed to replace Hamilton's offense last year nearly as much as it was that the collection of players who were projected to either step up or fill in failed to do so, and in no uncertain terms. So, David Murphy - enjoy Cleveland. Nelson Cruz - enjoy your shopping. Mitch Moreland -yeah, just what IS your role now. Giovonny Soto - yeah, you're still here, and have gotten a vote of confidence, but...Merry Christmas, and then back to reaality, ok?

Jim, don't forget your old buddy Lance Berkman! ;)

Well, the real evil empire ;) are about to sign Brian McCann.... I thought he might get more moola, but I wonder if he didn't want such a massive contract, that he would be a player fans love to hate.... Will be interesting to see how many more homers he hits in Yankee stadium....some guys splits (like Robinson Cano) aren't all that different home vs away

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, don't forget your old buddy Lance Berkman! ;)

Well, the real evil empire ;) are about to sign Brian McCann.... I thought he might get more moola, but I wonder if he didn't want such a massive contract, that he would be a player fans love to hate.... Will be interesting to see how many more homers he hits in Yankee stadium....some guys splits (like Robinson Cano) aren't all that different home vs away

and now the Empire has stolen Jacoby Ellsbury away too. And this after they seemed to be recognizing the error of their ways with long-term deals that end with guys in their late 30s.

I don't know what my Yankee friends think; Ellsbury is dead to me now. Not quite the same way as Damon (having just won a championship, it feels like a tiny bit less of a slap in the face of RSN - when Damon left, no one knew the Sox would win again in 2007)). It was always so obvious that he'd go wherever the money is highest.

I suspect that he'll hit a few more homers in that tiny ridiculous right field but inevitably his legs will cease to make up for his bad reads and he'll be a liability in CF (see Damon, J. and Williams, B.)

In the meantime the Red Sox played it smart by signing Victorino, who can easily take over CF if Jackie Bradley Jr isn't quite ready. But having won it all this year, I am totally fine with the Sox going with their young guys like Bradley and Xander Boegarts, and in a year, Christian Vasquez behind the dish.

Oh, and if Jarrod Saltalamacchia is ever heard from again now that he's signed with the Marlins, please send him my regards. Thanks for the memories, Salty, and enjoy playing in front of 6,000 people a night. But you've only got a one hour commute from your house now!

Edited by Dan Gould

But you got AJ (who will be great, except when he's not, and at the end of the season, you'll say, well, wasn't THAT average!), geez, what else do you want? :g

I'll miss Craig Gentry, who was fleet of foot (he got an inside-the-parker a few years ago against the Twins (iirc) that was epic in its sheer speedocity) and super keen of leather I will thrill to the leapingdivingrunning nabbing every time, and Gentry was always good for those). But this Choice guy they got for him from the A's is touted as being not quite as much of each, but younger, surer of bat, and ready to stay for a while and not be as injury prone. If so, so long Kittenface, and hello People's Choice!

From what I have read, Ellsbury wasn't even offered 9 figures, so can you really blame him if there was at least a 50 Mil difference? Red Sox almost seem to have the Yankees until this offseason view that anyone we throw out there will do fine...Scrappy is great, you can win W.S. with scrappiness , but it's hard to win year after year that way.. If Ortiz falls back to earth, no Ellsbury, and if Napoli goes elsewhere...that seems like a pretty weak offense. A(SSHOLE) J will thrill everone with his sub .300 OBP! ;) .luckily for you guys, the Yankees haven't addressed pitching..yet (and that new limit on the posting system is stupid, teams in Japan aren't going to give up guys for 20 Mil, when they could get 70+ mil in the past selling a guy) and the Rays are so piss poor that they ruined their playoff chances leaving Wil Myers in the minors til they could pay him less 3 years down the road....and will likely trade Price because he too will want what great pitchers get paid....

Edited by BERIGAN

So, how do the Yankees fans feel about Cano leaving? Sorry he got 10 years, I was really hoping those days were over...funny to see the Yankees getting a bunch of draft picks (ok, 2) losing Cano and Granderson.

Can't help but feel the Rays, Toronto and Baltimore feel pretty good seeing the Yankees and Red Sox lose so many key players.

Oh, forgot the Rays did get to the playoffs,(they left so quickly, like the braves did) but sure cost themselves a chance to win the division keeping Myers on the farm....

Interesting change in the Japanese/MLB posting system. Apparently now the posting fee is capped at just 20 million dollars, and however many teams want to post the max, they all have the right to negotiate with the player, and only the team that signs him has to pay the 20 million to his original team.

Great news for any Japanese players wanting to come over, bad news for their teams. And good news for all the MLB teams without the Yankees' financial might. Now they can compete on things other than willingness to spend the most money, like, perhaps, proximity to Japan.

This could have a big impact on the ability of the Yankees to land that star Japanese starter, who I think is there number one way to boost the rotation. I figured the Yankees would bid some crazy number - since it doesn't count on the salary cap - and land him. Now, his team in Japan has much less incentive to let him go, and more MLB teams can bid up his price. I'm sure the Red Sox would bid the max just to be able to talk to him and see what shakes out.

Hall of Fame Veterans committee announcement at 10 AM today, with the following on the ballot

Dave Concepcion
Bobby Cox
Steve Garvey
Tommy John
Tony La Russa
Billy Martin
Marvin Miller
Dave Parker
Dan Quisenberry
Ted Simmons
George Steinbrenner
Joe Torre

Who you got?

I am guessing Torre and Cox, would love to see Quis go in and will hate to see LaRussa go, just because I hate his guts.

Hall of Fame Veterans committee announcement at 10 AM today, with the following on the ballot

Dave Concepcion

Bobby Cox

Steve Garvey

Tommy John

Tony La Russa

Billy Martin

Marvin Miller

Dave Parker

Dan Quisenberry

Ted Simmons

George Steinbrenner

Joe Torre

Who you got?

I am guessing Torre and Cox, would love to see Quis go in and will hate to see LaRussa go, just because I hate his guts.

Is there a cap on how many from the group that can be put in?

Marvin Miller LONG overdue!

Others I'd say Cox, Larussa, Joe & George

Dave Concepcion

Bobby Cox

Steve Garvey

Tommy John

Tony La Russa

Billy Martin

Marvin Miller

Dave Parker

Dan Quisenberry

Ted Simmons

George Steinbrenner

Joe Torre

Who you got?

Man, my Boy Ted Simmons, just doesn't get any love! :( I just have to believe he wasn't popular with writers. More hits than Joe Medwick, .Frank Thomas, Jim Rice, .Pie Traynor, or Micky Mantle,

More RBI's than Joe Medwick, Johnny Bench, Johnny Mize, Mike Piazza, Duke Snider, Ivan Rodriguez, Carlton Fisk

OBP was .3479, or virtually in a tie with Yogi, .3478

Hit .300 or better 7 times (Bench never hit .300) and for 7 straight seasons, ( 1972 to 1978) he played in at least 150 games each year, which I guess isn't bad for a chain smoking...CATCHER!!!!

Not saying he's necessarily better than those (mainly) HOF'ers, but he should get in eventually...seems he is punished for being on many terrible Cardinal teams, and for being 2nd best to Johnny Bench all those years.

As much as I dislike Steve Garvey (always knew he was a phony goody goody) he was money, with games on the line, and in the playoffs...and being good/great come the playoffs, really doesn't seem to matter much come HOF voting time.... Ask Dave Stewart, Jack Morris, etc, etc, etc....

Edited by BERIGAN

Man, my Boy Ted Simmons, just doesn't get any love! :( I just have to believe he wasn't popular with writers. More hits than Joe Medwick, .Frank Thomas, Jim Rice, .Pie Traynor, or Micky Mantle,

More RBI's than Joe Medwick, Johnny Bench, Johnny Mize, Mike Piazza, Duke Snider, Ivan Rodriguez, Carlton Fisk

OBP was .3479, or virtually in a tie with Yogi, .3478

Hit .300 or better 7 times (Bench never hit .300) and for 7 straight seasons, ( 1972 to 1978) he played in at least 150 games each year, which I guess isn't bad for a chain smoking...CATCHER!!!!

Not saying he's necessarily better than those (mainly) HOF'ers, but he should get in eventually...seems he is punished for being on many terrible Cardinal teams, and for being 2nd best to Johnny Bench all those years.

It's gotta be the hair that's keeping him out.