2013-14 Hot Stove League

JSngry

Adam "I get paid to hit home runs" Dunn is my favorite whipping boy. He had a hot month and 1/2 last summer, and otherwise has rarely been able to hit AL pitching in his 3 years with the White Sox. In his defense it could be argued that since he was 14th in the AL in RBIs, he kept us from finishing with the worst record in the league last year. Seems to be a head case who freezes at the sight of men in scoring position and the Sox desperately needing to score a run. There's also his refusal to try to hit through the Dunn shift. Hard to imagine us getting much success as long as he's playing everyday. And with 2 other first basemen / designated hitters on the team next year, he's spectacularly expendable.

How is Jesse Crain's arm? Why aren't we trying to get him back? The rest of our relievers are pretty unreliable.

After tonight, no more rants.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, my Boy Ted Simmons, just doesn't get any love! :( I just have to believe he wasn't popular with writers. More hits than Joe Medwick, .Frank Thomas, Jim Rice, .Pie Traynor, or Micky Mantle,

More RBI's than Joe Medwick, Johnny Bench, Johnny Mize, Mike Piazza, Duke Snider, Ivan Rodriguez, Carlton Fisk

OBP was .3479, or virtually in a tie with Yogi, .3478

Hit .300 or better 7 times (Bench never hit .300) and for 7 straight seasons, ( 1972 to 1978) he played in at least 150 games each year, which I guess isn't bad for a chain smoking...CATCHER!!!!

Not saying he's necessarily better than those (mainly) HOF'ers, but he should get in eventually...seems he is punished for being on many terrible Cardinal teams, and for being 2nd best to Johnny Bench all those years.

It's gotta be the hair that's keeping him out.

Gotta be! ;)

A very nice, very long story on Tom Seaver. Funny, just saw an interview with him that Bob Costas did(think it was actually from a few years back) on mlbtv....still pretty angry about the Mets for trading him....

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/64585192/?partnerId=ed-7790882-631964743

Shin%2BSoo%2BChoo%2BChoo%2Btrain.jpg

7/130, probably won't look good on the back end, but that's the cost of doing business these days, so...I'm glad to see that my team is still willing to do reasonably smart business. It's not a stoopid-dumb deal, for sure (hopefully....), and Choo over Nelson Cruz is an upgrade (immediately and ongoing),

Adding Fielder & Choo keeps that elusive "window" open for 2-3 more years, which seems to be the name of the game these days, getting that window to be open.

Earl Weaver on Paul Blair:http://www.baseballnation.com/hot-corner/2013/12/27/5247218/paul-blair-obituary-center-field-defense-dead

Instinct and natural talent mean quite a bit. Paul Blair could stand in center field and know when a ball was hit over his head. He would turn around and run, never looking back at the ball, get to a spot, and then look up -- and there would be the ball. He'd grab it easily. No one can explain what Paul Blair had that gave him the ability to run and run and then know exactly where the ball was coming down. That's something that can't be learned. Such players know where the ball is going long before it gets there. Watching them, it seems, it seems they know as soon as the ball leaves the bat. It can't be explained or taught.

Those Orioles teams of the late 60s/early 70s, those were teams I really "imprinted" on and followed avidly. I still remember getting home from school just in time to see Paul Blair catch the last out of the 1966 World Series, the one nobody gave the Orioles a chance to win. Paul Blair jumped, and so did I.

Earl Weaver on Paul Blair:http://www.baseballnation.com/hot-corner/2013/12/27/5247218/paul-blair-obituary-center-field-defense-dead

Instinct and natural talent mean quite a bit. Paul Blair could stand in center field and know when a ball was hit over his head. He would turn around and run, never looking back at the ball, get to a spot, and then look up -- and there would be the ball. He'd grab it easily. No one can explain what Paul Blair had that gave him the ability to run and run and then know exactly where the ball was coming down. That's something that can't be learned. Such players know where the ball is going long before it gets there. Watching them, it seems, it seems they know as soon as the ball leaves the bat. It can't be explained or taught.

Those Orioles teams of the late 60s/early 70s, those were teams I really "imprinted" on and followed avidly. I still remember getting home from school just in time to see Paul Blair catch the last out of the 1966 World Series, the one nobody gave the Orioles a chance to win. Paul Blair jumped, and so did I.

Those were great teams. Didn't they have a rotation one year with four 20-game winners? Only time that's happened in MLB history, I think, and not something we're ever likely to see again.

EDIT: it was the 1971 team... http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1971.shtml

Edited by ghost of miles

I think a rift in the BBWA is not dissimilar in its amusement than is any other rift in any other "critical fraternity"...and the notion of sports writers being essentially music critics for sports is one that just dawned on me after reading this.

A few days later, though...

DAMMIT DEREK!!!

http://www.lonestarball.com/2014/1/10/5296940/derek-holland-surgery-holland-has-knee-surgery-out-for-start-of-season

If ever there was a perfect, possibly even preordained, match between goofy player and goofy off-season injury...here it is.

Dammit.

A-Rod's suspension was reduced to 162 games (but includes any playoff games in 2014) and here is why his appeal in Federal court is highly unlikely to be successful:

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/11/a-rod-will-try-to-appeal-to-federal-court-but-hes-not-likely-to-have-success/

A-Rod's statement is quite the piece of work:

“The number of games sadly comes as no surprise, as the deck has been stacked against me from day one. This is one man’s decision, that was not put before a fair and impartial jury, does not involve me having failed a single drug test, is at odds with the facts and is inconsistent with the terms of the Joint Drug Agreement and the Basic Agreement, and relies on testimony and documents that would never have been allowed in any court in the United States because they are false and wholly unreliable.
This injustice is MLB’s first step toward abolishing guaranteed contracts in the 2016 bargaining round, instituting lifetime bans for single violations of drug policy, and further insulating its corrupt investigative program from any variety defense by accused players, or any variety of objective review.
(Emphasis mine)

I have been clear that I did not use performance enhancing substances as alleged in the notice of discipline, or violate the Basic Agreement or the Joint Drug Agreement in any manner, and in order to prove it I will take this fight to federal court. I am confident that when a Federal Judge reviews the entirety of the record, the hearsay testimony of a criminal whose own records demonstrate that he dealt drugs to minors, and the lack of credible evidence put forth by MLB, that the judge will find that the panel blatantly disregarded the law and facts, and will overturn the suspension. No player should have to go through what I have been dealing with, and I am exhausting all options to ensure not only that I get justice, but that players’ contracts and rights are protected through the next round of bargaining, and that the MLB investigation and arbitration process cannot be used against others in the future the way it is currently being used to unjustly punish me.

I will continue to work hard to get back on the field and help the Yankees achieve the ultimate goal of winning another championship. I want to sincerely thank my family, all of my friends, and of course the fans and many of my fellow MLB players for the incredible support I received throughout this entire ordeal.”

What the hell is that stuff about abolishing guaranteed contracts or initiating a one-strike and your out drug policy? I mean its a nice way to try to rally the union and make it all about the players instead of all about A-Rod but does anyone think that the union is going to roll over and allow guaranteed contracts to be tossed? And if there's an agreement to a one-and-done drug policy it will be because the members want it.

My guess is that now the Yankees use the money to pay that Japanese pitcher absolutely whatever it takes to sign - 150 million over the length of the contract? $25 million is now off the books for 2014 and the Yankees are sure to use it, wisely or not.

• 2 weeks later...

In a shocking turn of events, the Yankees kept throwing money at the star Japanese pitcher until he said "yes".

That's $450 million or so committed to the new catcher, CF, RF and starting pitcher. Makes the 1/4 of a billion dollars spent after the last time they missed the playoffs in 2008 look like chicken feed.

I just pray to God it doesn't end up with the same result as in 2009.

Except unlike 2009 their projected starting 2B and 3B are Brian Roberts & Kelly Johnson.

And their shortstop is a greybeard who played 18 games last year due to injury and, what else ... oh yeah, the greatest closer in history is sitting home in Panama and even if their set up man takes over and does a decent job, who is the new set up man?

I got it ... they'll trade for Papelbon! :g

Edited by Dan Gould

Except unlike 2009 their projected starting 2B and 3B are Brian Roberts & Kelly Johnson.

And their shortstop is a greybeard who played 18 games last year due to injury and, what else ... oh yeah, the greatest closer in history is sitting home in Panama and even if their set up man takes over and does a decent job, who is the new set up man?

I got it ... they'll trade for Papelbon! :g

Please God, make that trade happen.

Get well soon Michael Jack Schmidt!

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/sports/phillies/Phillies-Hall-of-Famer-Mike-Schmidt-ill-.html?mr=1&submit=Vote&241527171=Y&oid=4&pid=241527171&cid=8500281&jCount=2&#poll_questions_top

• 3 weeks later...

Played the Houston Eye Ball last night (a charity event for Prevent Blindness) and the guest of honor was none other than Bob Aspromonte! Said a quick hello and got a watm handshake.

Bob Aspromonte, who was, upon retirement, the last Brooklyn Dodger left standing in MLB.

http://www.csnhouston.com/blog/astros-talk/aspromontes-be-honored-eye-ball-2014

So ARod finally drops his lawsuit against MLB and the Players Union. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I think the suit against the union was the last straw for the mlb players, before that, there was starting to be some actual player sympathy for ARod, after the suit and the various charges agains the union, he was toast.

So ARod finally drops his lawsuit against MLB and the Players Union. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I think the suit against the union was the last straw for the mlb players, before that, there was starting to be some actual player sympathy for ARod, after the suit and the various charges agains the union, he was toast.

And now that Jeter is retiring after this season, he'll never have A-Roid as his teammate ever again!

Phillies sign AJ Burnett for 1 year, but Hamels is injured

Yankee infield is ????, Teixeira coming off wrist surgery and years of decline, Jeter coming off a year of injury, and two other guys(Brian Roberts, injury prone).