All the jazz musicians here....

Hardbopjazz

I'm not a professional player, but I'll play anyway...

1. Probably around 1977 (age 21), when I heard Kenny Burrell on "Jimmy Smith At The Organ".

2. No, I had taken blues guitar playing pretty seriously for several years prior to that, which of course was a nice way to prepare to play jazz.

I had a bit of guidance from one of my older brothers (guitarist, later guitarist/trombonist), but I'm basically self taught, and I'm an ear player. I must have gotten a gene from my Mom, who mostly always played by ear. I struggled to get up to speed when I first picked up a guitar in the early 70's, but my strong desire to play allowed me to persevere. I needed to make music.

Edited by Jim R

1. When I was 14.

2. Yes, the first (at least by choice, coming up in a public school band program, you had no choices as to what the very first music you actually "played" was), but not the last or only, so even if I was still a proactive musician in terms of career and/or lifestyle, I'd not be so bold as to consider myself a "true" jazz musician...or a true any one kind, period, not least because I've been around plenty of those who were (a "true" "one kind" of musician), and I know I'm not that. Thank god for those who are, thank god for those who aren't and especially thank god for those who know the difference and don't be weird about it one way or the other.

1. 2005. Maybe silly but it was kind of a revelation when I realized it. It feels like the fit of a glove, for my instrument but also for me as a person. Coming home, if you'd like to call it that.
2. I've been into rock and pop, some soul. None of these gave me the same feel as I have now though.
(edit: maybe I should have mentioned that I don't earn my living as musician, but I felt spoken to since it is who I am regardless)

Edited by page

• 2 weeks later...

I started playing "jazz" when I was a kid, 17 or 18 years old. Have been "self taught" or played "from hearing" what my father played (easy classical pieces). My first "jazz" sounded weak, but guys told me I got talent so I worked on it, self taught. I don´t read music, just chord progressions, but got perfect pitch and used to play tunes after I heard them.

Played a lot of club dates during the late´70´s , ´80´s until 1992 and then I stopped .

Played my stuff at home and thought I´d never return to play in public again, even if I thought I might sound much better now than during the time I was "active".

this year, in May I went to hear my old drummer doing a gig, and he told me he want´s me back and will get a good bass player so we´d do a trio gig, so finally I decided to play two gigs and really felt comfortable playing again.

After almost 20 years I noticed two things: You are older, you slow down, but even if I play "Salt Peanuts" of "Cherokee" or some fast shit like that, it sound´s better and I feel much more comfortable than 20 or 30 years ago. And ballads, I played them when I was young, but it seems you got to get older to "feel" them and make people enjoy listening to them.....