Female Jazz Singers

mrjazzman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely adore Sara Serpa. She has made two records with Ran Blake that rival (IMO) his work with Jeanne Lee, though the two are very different. Both albums are equally sublime-- Camera Obscura (Inner Circle, 2010) & Aurora (Clean Feed, 2012). Her own quintet, with which she works in vocalese, is a thing of beauty. Mobile (Inner Circle, 2012) is the latest and best. I can't wait for her next release.

Here is her take on "When Sunny Gets Blue" with Ran, which was performed by Lee on Newest Sound Around in 1962.

http://saraserpa.bandcamp.com/track/when-sunny-gets-blue

I absolutely adore Sara Serpa. She has made two records with Ran Blake that rival (IMO) his work with Jeanne Lee, though the two are very different. Both albums are equally sublime-- Camera Obscura (Inner Circle, 2010) & Aurora (Clean Feed, 2012). Her own quintet, with which she works in vocalese, is a thing of beauty. Mobile (Inner Circle, 2012) is the latest and best. I can't wait for her next release.

Here is her take on "When Sunny Gets Blue" with Ran, which was performed by Lee on Newest Sound Around in 1962.

http://saraserpa.bandcamp.com/track/when-sunny-gets-blue

:tup :tup OTOH -- sorry Phil -- I don't get Kristen Slipp at all.

I highly recommend Shawnn Monteiro. One of the best currently working.

Yes, she can swing and has an incredible jazz talent

Shawnn performed with all the big names in jazz.

Like whom? Count, Duke, Bird, Trane, Miles? But I guess since this is one of these "anyhting goes" threads, we needn't mind too much ;)

As for "living", my personal favorite besides Merrill (she did some gigs this year in spring, a night at the Village Vanguard and a few concerts in Japan - wish I'd been there!) is probably Elina Duni, though I guess she does not qualify as "jazz" singer in many a book.

Also Susanne Abbuehl, who in her own way continues what Jeanne Lee (one of her teachers/mentors) did.

And then there's Sheila Jordan, too!

Sadly no longer with us, but Ann Burton (dig that Dutch accent):

I didn't realize the Dutch accent was an advantage. :)

My favourite drummer John Engels in the accompaniment!

I like this one better... My mom had this album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj_nMmOTb_E

Lovely that she uses the verse. Nice piano part too!

Sadly no longer with us, but Ann Burton (dig that Dutch accent):

I didn't realize the Dutch accent was an advantage. :)

My favourite drummer John Engels in the accompaniment!

The pianist is Louis van Dyke, Jacques Schols on bass (he recorded with Eric Dolphy too) and on drums Johnny Engels.

My mom had only a few albums with female jazz singers . Some Billie, Ella, Sarah, Dinah, Carmen,Jeanne Lee, Cleo Laine, Peggy Lee (only one album), Rosemary Clooney, and Diana Krall.

And some Rita Reys, Greetje Kauffeld, and Lils Mackintosh (Lils is the daughter of the singer Max Woiski jr. and granddaughter of musician Max Woiski sr.)

Edited by Cyril

The pianist is Louis van Dyke, Jacques Schols on bass (he recorded with Eric Dolphy too) and on drums Johnny Engels.

My mom had only a few albums with female jazz singers . Some Billie, Ella, Sarah, Dinah, Carmen,Jeanne Lee, Cleo Laine, Peggy Lee (only one album), Rosemary Clooney, and Diana Krall. And some Rita Reys, Greetje Kauffeld, and Lils Mackintosh (she is

the daughter of the singer Max Woiski jr. and granddaughter of musician Max Woiski sr.)

Yes I know Lils Mackintosh. I visited one of her Masterclasses. Didn't dare to apply for it yet. I saw her live a few times too, together with Clous van Mechelen if you know him. I think Louis last name is Dijk instead of Dyke. Of course I know him too, didn't realize it was him playing. John Engels is my favourite national jazz drummer, still. I did saw Greetje Kauffeld perform too.

Edited by page

My mom had only a few albums with female jazz singers . Some Billie, Ella, Sarah, Dinah, Carmen,Jeanne Lee, Cleo Laine, Peggy Lee (only one album), Rosemary Clooney, and Diana Krall. And some Rita Reys, Greetje Kauffeld, and Lils Mackintosh (she is

the daughter of the singer Max Woiski jr. and granddaughter of musician Max Woiski sr.)

Yes I know Lils Mackintosh. I visited one of her Masterclasses. Didn't dare to apply for it yet. I saw her live a few times too, together with Clous van Mechelen if you know him. I think Louis last name is Dijk instead of Dyke. Of course I know him too, didn't realize it was him playing. John Engels is my favourite national jazz drummer, still. I did saw Greetje Kauffeld perform too.

Louis uses the name Van Dyke for international reasons. Check google.

Lils often performs with Clous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MBbi7B4xQ

BTW this is the best youtube of her....

Love Irene Kral. Dig her here on "Forgetful' (the nutty/knotty song is by the nutty/knotty George Handy -- first sung by the great David Allyn with Boyd Raeburn):

The above is a version from the late 1950s (Allyn with Johnny Mandel, I think).
As for Ann Burton's Dutch-accented English, it just tickles me -- perhaps a la Marlene Dietrich's German accent.
I dig Van Dyke on "It Never Entered My Mind," but his in-your-face funky licks on "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" don't seem to me to be doing Burton any favors.

As for Ann Burton's Dutch-accented English, it just tickles me -- perhaps a la Marlene Dietrich's German accent.
I dig Van Dyke on "It Never Entered My Mind," but his in-your-face funky licks on "I Can't Give You Anything But Love" don't seem to me to be doing Burton any favors.

I commented because here they would tell you to loose the accent. I think I have less accent than Ann Burton, although you probably won't loose all not being a native speaker. I am qualified to teach English children up till 13, so that might have something to do with having less accent.

I never espected it to be Louis van Dijk to be the pianist on that song. He is a skilled player but I wouldn't consider him a jazz pianist really, in this case more blues. I think I have heard him play classical mostly. Cyril might disagree with me and be right, since I have never really followed him. My favourite Dutch Jazz pianist would be Rob van Bavel. I've heard him accompany Marjorie Barnes but his own work is fantastic too. Regarding the doing "favours" to a vocalist I want to say that accompaniment is a skill itself. Thanks for pointing out Irene Krall, terrific low voice!

Edited by page

Daryl Sherman is a favorite these days. Good to hear a singer with a sense of humor and who knows the verses to all the songs and who plays fine swing piano, including A Love Supreme in a sort of Earl Hinesish style. Her repertoire is otherwise mostly Broadway of the Rodgers-Gershwin-etc. era.

Madeleine Peyroux sang at the Chicago Jazz Festival the year Esperanza Spalding and Dee Alexander sang there. Peyroux sang like a women, the others sang like girls. Moving album of original songs by Peyroux about 3 years ago. Behind-the-beat, faintly Ladylike, no histrionics or scatting at all. Warning: the jazz police hate her singing.