Female Jazz Singers

mrjazzman

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Cassandra Wilson, especially if one contemplates the different realities between being a jazz singer and being a singer who sings jazz-sounding music.

Definitely.

After seeing her outstanding performance with Jason Moran the other night, I was struck once again by the fact that she has one of the most distinctive voices and unique senses of phrasing in jazz (or whatever kind of music you want to call it). For some reason I stopped listening to her several years ago, but plan to revisit her now.

Madeleine Peyroux sang at the Chicago Jazz Festival the year Esperanza Spalding and Dee Alexander sang there. Peyroux sang like a women, the others sang like girls. Moving album of original songs by Peyroux about 3 years ago. Behind-the-beat, faintly Ladylike, no histrionics or scatting at all. Warning: the jazz police hate her singing.

Probably the same people who keep comparing her with Billie Holiday, I'm a big fan of Madeleine. I love her time and her songs. I think you are referring to "Standing on the rooftop". My favourite songs of that album are "Don't pick a fight with a poet" :) and "The kind you can't afford". Such fun lyrics on both. She's a big example for me as singer songwriter.

I never espected it to be Louis van Dijk to be the pianist on that song. He is a skilled player but I wouldn't consider him a jazz pianist really, in this case more blues. I think I have heard him play classical mostly. Cyril might disagree with me and be right, since I have never really followed him.

Why should I ? Louis had a trio with Jacques Schols and Johnny Engels at that time. That's all... Though in1961 Louis won the famous Jazzconcours in Loosdrecht.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_van_Dijk

&

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis_van_Dijk

Edited by Cyril

I meant that possitive. I just meant to say you'd probably know more about Louis his career than I would, since I have the impression you know a lot in this area. I'm still a new comer. I came to jazz relatively late. No jazz in our house hold when I was a girl, not even pop music. I did watch all those old movies on tv which almost all had jazz. I just didn't realize it was jazz at the time. I 'had' to play classical piano which was expected of me being a girl. What I have discovered I did on my own and the last 5 years with help of musicians. It has been and is such fun discovering and I can learn so much from all of you here. Thanks for having me around. :)
regards, page

Edited by page

I thought this thread was focused on LIVING female jazz singers.

Here are a few more that I like.

Claire Martin

Madeline Eastman

Along with Madeline, another San Francisco treat Kitty Margolis, and the often mentioned Mary Stallings.

Not everyone's cuppa tea....I like Carmen Lundy quite a lot.

She was terrific at Monterey Festival in Sept!

Edited by Mike Schwartz

I absolutely adore Sara Serpa. She has made two records with Ran Blake that rival (IMO) his work with Jeanne Lee, though the two are very different. Both albums are equally sublime-- Camera Obscura (Inner Circle, 2010) & Aurora (Clean Feed, 2012). Her own quintet, with which she works in vocalese, is a thing of beauty. Mobile (Inner Circle, 2012) is the latest and best. I can't wait for her next release.

Here is her take on "When Sunny Gets Blue" with Ran, which was performed by Lee on Newest Sound Around in 1962.

http://saraserpa.bandcamp.com/track/when-sunny-gets-blue

:tup :tup OTOH -- sorry Phil -- I don't get Kristen Slipp at all.

You're not alone! I love her! End of A Love Affair :) Love Sara Serpa & Luciana Souza too!

Edited by Trumpet Guy