Solo guitar recordings?

Д.Д.

I was listening to the excellent Jerry Hahn's CD (imaginatively titled "Hahn Solo") on Migration, and realized how few solo guitar CDs I have. Some Derek Bailey... some (overdubbed) Sonny Sharrock... that might be about it. I have more solo drums CDs! So, any recommendations?

Joe Pass,of course ....

Steve Khan did a nice solo disc for RCA Novus, one side is a long Monk medley. Will have to dig it out.

Derek Bailey, and other free form players over here that followed him, Hans Reichel, Joe Sachse.

There's half an LP by John McLaughlin from his pre-Mahavishnu days, too.

Johnny Smith's "Man With The Blue Guitar" is a prerequisite for solo guitar playing.

Harry Leahey recorded one that I've never heard, but I'm sure it was as great as his teacher's, mentioned above.

George Van Eps did a few, "My Guitar", "Solo Guitar Recordings" (which featured Smith on the other CD playing Spanish Classical guitar recordings with a pick! :excited: )

Kenny Burrell recorded one that I'm picking up this weekend.

The Lenny Breau ones mentioned above are also great works of art.

I'm pretty sure Cal Collins did one on Concord, but someone I'd need to verify that...I saw him play solo guitar live at Bechet's in NYC back in the 80s and dug it.

There's a recent one by a younger player that is incredible, but I can't remember his name. I'll add it later when I remember.

Martin Taylor is an excellent guitarist, almost like Art Tatum on guitar. Try this one, which is even more impressive because it's live:

419WTNMYC2L.jpg

Ralph Towner, of course. One of the most distinctive voices of the last half century. This one is also live:

51ksnGsrXCL.jpg

Ron Affif? Very excellent, underrated guitarist. For his solo work, listen to:

21WNGP18T6L.jpg

Jim Hall has never played a bad note. I don't know that he's ever done a solo album. How about his duets with Pat Metheny:

517b01bfZWL.jpg

Jimmy Bruno? Yes.

51aucdSys4L._SY300_.jpg

Finally, if you'll expand your definition of jazz a little, seriously consider Leo Kottke and John Fahey. I've had many satisfying hours of listening to them.

In addition to Breau, Sharrock and Leitch, some other fantastic players from Canada who are great solo players (not sure what they've recorded in that setting):

Ed Bickert

Reg Schwager

Lorne Lofsky

Unfortunately, Ed Bickert has never done a solo LP.

The guy I was trying to remember before was Jonathan Kreisberg. His recent solo CD is unbelievable. Not possible to surpass that shit...