Chico Hamilton R.I.P.

ghost of miles

And was still recording as late as 2008. Thankful for his music, and love the recordings by the group with Lloyd and Szabo.

He had 2 new CDs (Euphoric and Revelation) released in 2011. His later years were extremely prolific for recordings.

I saw him at Drom in October of 2012. He was only able to play about half the set. About 15 years previously when I heard him at the Knitting Factory, he was still in prime form.

Edited by kh1958

Damn.... so sorry to hear this. But what an amazing musical life. Saw him just the once about 20 years ago with the 'Euphoria' group but it was a great evening and he was in absolutely A1 form. Thank you for the music and the Mosaic set will be spun this week. RIP..

Edited by sidewinder

Underrated all around, especially as a band-leader / cultivator of unusual and idiosyncratic musical talents. God speed.

I think "unusual and idiosyncratic musical talent" best describes his own gifts!

I was listening, about a month ago, to one of his Solid state records, The Gamut, I think it was, and was not allowed for even one second not to think what a strange record it was, one of those things where "good" or "bad" is not even a consideration, what the sole consideration was was that nobody - nobody - else could have even begun to make a record like this, never mind actually make this record.

Time, touch, tone...the guy was a master drummer, period.

He always had that "showbiz" thing going on, and sometimes....maybe not what I wanted, but no matter. It was honest, always, and he was masterful, always. You never heard a Chico Hamilton album that didn't have a Chico Hamilton groove to it, no matter what that groove was.

NOW can we have this reissued in the US, please?