BFT 117 discussion

mikeweil

The theme is rather easily detected .... I'm very curious how familiar some of these tracks are. Enjoy and don't hesitate to think out loud while listening.

Thanks for your time etc.

Track list:

As some noticed, there may be differing file names and track titles - I had to re-name some tracks as the opener had been missing etc. - please sort and listen by file name.

1. BFT117-001 (2:31) Vibes opening in 16th notes, punctuating horns, vibes solo, horn section with short passages of sax, vibes, piano, end theme.

2. BFT117-002 (5:14) Vibes opening, muted trumpet joins for theme, trumpet and vibes solo.

3. BFT117-003 (3:52) Piano opens with bass and drums, theme with vibes, vibes and piano and bass solos.

4. BFT117-004 (8:00) Piano solo intro, vibes join for theme, vibes and piano solos.

5. BFT117-005 (5:50) Vibes intro with organ, vibes and organ solos.

6. BFT117-006 (7:02) Snare drumroll, horns with growl effects, vibes state theme, tenor solo, vibes solo, tenor & trombone solos, vibes with horns backdrop takes it out.

7. BFT117-007 (4:27) mostly freestyle playing with the vibes leading off

8. BFT117-008 (5:12) semi ballad style quartet

9. BFT117-009 (3:18) quartet with piano soloing first

10. BFT117-010 (2:46) vibes stating theme with spare drums commenting the phrases

11. BFT117-011 (3:02) another quartet

12. BFT117-012 (3:10) the only unaccompanied vibes track

13. BFT117-013 (2:45) the only live track

14. BFT117-014 (5:52) piano, vibes, and conga drums

15. BFT117-015 (3:32) vibes-bass duo

16. BFT117-016 (6:57) vibes, organ, guitar, and drums

17. BFT117-017 (5:10) vibes, piano, guitar, bass, drums

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the files ... just to be clear, the sequence you want us to listen to is the one of the actual file names? (i.e. "BFT117-001", "BFT117-002" ... "BFT117-017")

Since "titles" and tack numbers in tags are differnt (mostly confusingly just by one digit, i.e. the file names "BFT11-001" has "002" in the title field .. and some tracks are unnumbered and unnamed - can't give exact details as I already overwrote the tags - need a common album title for them to show up as an album on my smartphone)

Hmm... this is confusing. I just attempted a download, and each track had a box to check (for which ones you wanted to download). At the bottom of the listings, there was a "select all" option, so I chose that. Unfortunately, only about five tracks downloaded. I unchecked their individual boxes, and tried again. This time four tracks downloaded. I unchecked those boxes and continued this process until all tracks were downloaded. When I went to move them from my desktop into iTunes, I noticed that tracks 6-17 had tags for name, artist, and album title (the artist and album title were all the same, so I assumed that these were not the real tags for the BFT tracks). Most confusing, though, is that tracks 1-5 were labeled as follows:

1. BFT117-001

2. BFT117-001

3. BFT117-002

4. BFT117-005

5. BFT117-004

I realize that I could ignore this and proceed listening, but it kind of worries me (that the tracks got mixed up somehow). I was careful in entering the files into iTunes individually in the order they were labeled (001 through 017), so...

Maybe you could list the correct track timings, 1 through 17, just to help clarify what's what...?

I guess we'll be fine if we go by the actual file names ... already rose that question.

It also took me several attempts to get them all in btw. Ticking all and hitting the DL button at the bottom left brought about 10 or so in, the rest took two more attempts of ticking ...

Strange vibes, as far as the hassle with rapidshare is concerned ... when the Status Quo track identifications turned up, I spared the procedure of re-naming the file attributions with audacity ... oh how much I love modern total interconnectivity.

All your above assumptions are correct, as are Jim R's track timings. Thanks for your patience ....

The confusion with the file names occured when I found that track order was mixed up at some point in the prodedure, so I had to re-name - I forgot that the old attributions might pop up somewhere. I wanted to save time as it was getting late. The file names as in rapidshare are the correct order.

So much for identification trouble, just like with human beings in modern life ...

Edited by mikeweil

Thanks for the clarification, Mike! If we all go by the actual filenames and the durations above, there should be no misunderstandings!

Did I hear Johnny Lytle with that clumsy ogun player somewhere? The big band track (#6) sounded gorgeous ... but I arrived at work before it ended. Looking forward to listening - hopefully tonight! - and posting some first impressions then.

I think I have the files lined up right. Initial thoughts:

1 – Sounds like Lionel Hampton to me. I like this quite a bit.

2 – Sounds like an update on Lionel Hampton to me. I like this quite a bit. The bass player would not be someone Hampton would use. Jay Hoggard on vibes? (take 2)

3 – Good stuff, maybe Milt Jackson with Oscar Peterson?

4- love this! Can’t wait to find out what it is. Bobby Hutcherson? Probably sitting in my collection somewhere already.

5 – Very very nice. Maybe Lem Winchester with Johnny Hammond Smith?

6 – huh? One of those old tenor masters I never get right. Ben Webster? Yet some Mingus-y shades to it. This isn’t something I would choose to listen to.

7 – No idea. Pretty interesting.

8 – Not really up my alley, thought no doubt players I’m familiar with and own stuff by.

9 – Didn’t like this at first, but it got moving pretty well. 50’s vintage?

10 – I do like this quite a bit. Again, sounds like 50’s vintage. MJQ?

11 – Another oldie. Very nice, of course.

12 – “Tenderly”. Well played for what it is, but does not translate well for me.

13 – Same vibist as 12? Same comment.

14 – Reminded me of those Tyner/Hutcherson cuts on ‘Time for Tyner’, but not quite at that level.

15 – “My Funny Valentine”. This is lovely. Reminds me of how nice those Walt Dickerson/Richard Davis duo albums were.

16 – Latin feel, hard to place. Gary Burton?

17 – Maybe something like Grant Green/Larry Young/Bobby Hutcherson? This one is a highlight for me.

No doubt there are players like Lem Winchester in here. Very enjoyable set (especially #4), and I greatly look forward to the reveal!

Thanks, felser, for these first impressions. My initial reaction was to post a list of vibist nowhere in this compilation, but that would spoil some of the fun. Your comments are pretty enlightening as far as influences between vibist are concerned, but none of your guesses is accurate, I'm sorry. But as far as influences go, very nice. And some are, kind of, real heavy compliments for the actual players.

I'll rather wait with my remarks until some more have posted.

Still having slow-download problems, but I'll join the guess festival on Track 1: Is that a heavily arranged Red Norvo group, maybe with Buddy Collette?

I'd endorse Dan's suggestion that the download be hosted on another site. Rapidshare is absurdly slow here. I've been trying for 12 hours and have successfully DL'd only five of the 17 tracks.

Edited by Spontooneous

Okay,

I will put it all into one zip file and upload it elsewhere, but this will have to wait until tomorrow morning. Will have done until noon CET.

My familiar zipping software would not work on my new notebook, which has Windows 8.

Maybe I can reactivate my YouSendIt account ...

Made obsolete by king ubu's fine work. Check the PM threads for new download links.

So far .... no, I can't give hints that early. But very interesting comments. Worth the effort, definitely.

Edited by mikeweil

felser, please check the new download, after comparing your comments with the correct track order I noticed that on your list some are not what they shoudl be - e.g. your 17 shoudl be 14.

Otherwise, as I said, very enlightening comments - there will be some surprises!

I had no idea there actually could be so many vibe tracks new to you - but let's wait.

So far all of the guesses were misses. I will only say that I was able to include only half of the vibists on my first list to avoid a double disc ....

Just managed to listen once all the way through, and have some random thoughts...

1, 2... nothing sounding familiar, but interesting stuff which I will have to spend some more time with.

3. If I were going to guess Milt on any of the tracks here, it would probably be this one. I don't think it's the MJQ, however.

4. Interesting and creative tune and arrangement, but not really my style.

5. Beautiful Love. I like the sound of this group, and the playing is very nice. I don't know quite why, but I feel like this may be a European group.

6. Nice soulful gospelly (is that a word?) feel on this, and a lovely arrangement. I have no idea who's playing, but it really pleases the ears.

7. Plenty of tracks on this BFT that I'm enjoying, so... I'll just pass on this one.

8. Very lovely melody, which I'm not quite recognizing. Whenever I hear vocalizing over a vibes solo, I tend to think of Dave Pike, but that's a longshot to be considered an educated guess, so I'll just say that I find this to be very tasty.

9. Hmm, now the pianist is vocalizing over his solo. I don't recognize this at all, but it's a nice modern take on a traditional sound.

10. In the opening, the vibist is reminding me of Buddy with the Mastersounds… but it's not that. I need to think more about this one, which feels a bit more familiar than some of the other tracks so far. I have the feeling that I should be recognizing this one. Eddie Costa?

11. Sounds like a take-off on the changes to "Love Me Or Leave Me". Nice arrangement. Sounds like a mid-to-late 50's recording (west coast?).

12. Tenderly. The style/sound of the opening is reminiscent of Milt on the classic "The Man I Love" from Miles & The Modern Jazz Giants. Very tasty, whoever this is.

13. A live version of "If You Could See Me Now". Very elegant feel and phrasing. I like it as the audience did!

14. This has a more modern sound quality to my ears, and this is grooving nicely. Not as much in my ballpark in terms of some of the harmonies/colors, but nice tight rhythms, and very enjoyable listening.

15. My Funny Valentine. A bit tedious, at least for the mood I'm in right now. The duet format with one instrument being a bass is never among my favorite settings.

16. Very funky. Reminds me of a Les McCann/Eddie Harris kind of feel circa 1970. I don't know if I own this, but the sound of the group has a familiarity.

17. Well, Ding DONG! The pianist and group sound is unmistakeable, and I own this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N85O7C/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Great way to end the test, with a track that is getting me in the mood for Christmas jazz.

I'll go back and attempt more analysis soon (I hope).

Thanks, Mike.

Got a chance to download and listen to the first half of the BFT tonight. As a self proclaimed vibraphone nut I have to say that not much jumped out at me identification wise , yet.

I will say that I can do track #6 all day long. Beside the vibes the other solos are all quite good particularly the trombone.

Track #7 was pretty interesting also.

At the risk of embarrassing myself, I'm fairly certain track #8 is the world's best vibes player. I stated on my first BFT here that Walt Dickerson was my favorite musician, so if I'm wrong...big egg on my face. Beautiful tune, nice bass line and maybe Andrew Cryille also. I honestly like Mr. Dickerson's later music better but this ain't bad.

Hope to listen to the rest soon and maybe figure out some Ids. Thanks.

Thanks for your comments! I inserted my remarks.

3. If I were going to guess Milt on any of the tracks here, it would probably be this one. I don't think it's the MJQ, however. No Bags here ...

5. Beautiful Love. I like the sound of this group, and the playing is very nice. I don't know quite why, but I feel like this may be a European group. No, these are US boys.

8. Very lovely melody, which I'm not quite recognizing. Whenever I hear vocalizing over a vibes solo, I tend to think of Dave Pike, but that's a longshot to be considered an educated guess, so I'll just say that I find this to be very tasty. Not Pike here, but ...

10. In the opening, the vibist is reminding me of Buddy with the Mastersounds… but it's not that. I need to think more about this one, which feels a bit more familiar than some of the other tracks so far. I have the feeling that I should be recognizing this one. Eddie Costa? Not Costa, but he could be influenced by the vibes player here. You know that band.

11. Sounds like a take-off on the changes to "Love Me Or Leave Me". Nice arrangement. Sounds like a mid-to-late 50's recording (west coast?). Correct on the tune, and it is early 1950's west coast.

12. Tenderly. The style/sound of the opening is reminiscent of Milt on the classic "The Man I Love" from Miles & The Modern Jazz Giants. Very tasty, whoever this is. You're very close!

16. Very funky. Reminds me of a Les McCann/Eddie Harris kind of feel circa 1970. I don't know if I own this, but the sound of the group has a familiarity. The players of this track will take this as a big compliment, for sure.

17. Well, Ding DONG! The pianist and group sound is unmistakeable, and I own this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001N85O7C/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Great way to end the test, with a track that is getting me in the mood for Christmas jazz. Bingo! I was hipped to this disc by a previous BFT (yours?), bought it this year, and right now it's my favourite jazz christmas disc.

I'll go back and attempt more analysis soon (I hope).

Thanks, Mike.

Edited by mikeweil