BFT 117 discussion

mikeweil

Since the guessing seems to have gone to rest: Do you want the answers before or after Christmas?

I would prefer them at the end of the month. I have noticed this about BFTs this year. On many of them, there is a flurry of discussion early in the month, nothing at all coming in from about the 10th to the 20th of the month, then another flurry of discussion toward the end of the month. Sometimes some of the most interesting comments come in on the 29th and 30th of the month. So don't lose hope!

I haven't been able to identify any of the artists/musicians. I'm not really familiar with vibraphonists and for some reason I'd never expected to like it so much. So it brought me another field I still want to explore and discover. I did recognize some standards but since others beat me to it in mentioning them, I figured my chance had passed. :blush:

That were My Funny Valentine, Tenderly and My beautiful love which I've found in that order.

It is funny to read that others hear parts of songs; same as JSngry I heard the part of Love me or leave me in track 11 but figured I was mistaken since it went the other way. I had that with Beautiful love too

Okay, in short my thoughts, feelings about this wonderful compilation:

No. 1 very fast, happy song. I have no clue.

No. 2 I really like the muted trumpet, really nice theme

No. 3 I think I know the song, but can't come up with the title, but it is a 12 bar blues. Really nice. Blues can never be too much.

No. 4 luscious piano intro :) a bit too many notes for me, I like it more simple. Some phrases sound familiar but I have no clue which song it is. When drums and vibes join in, I like it more although it stays kind of crowded all over. Maybe just not my cup of tea.

No. 5 Beautiful Love - while it is usually played in 4/4 of course it was a jazz waltz originally but I didn't think of that straight away and so I did came and discovered that at a later stage. :blush: I heard some phrases of This Masquerade and Cry me a river strangly enough at first in it but neither are waltzes, so I was really confused at first, lol. I know musicians like to use parts of others songs sometimes when the changes are similar. That can be confusing sometimes, also when they play a song in another time measure than you are familiar with. I like it as a bossa myself. Lovely song.

No. 6 The intro sounded like a Maynard Ferguson tune. It actually reminded me of a song which was played in the big band I was in for some years. I can’t come up with the title right now. Very nice song, lovely vibraphone and tenor solo.

No. 7 A bit too crowded at some places for me. I have no clue here either.

No. 8 lovely ballad, beautiful playing. I really like the pianist as well on this one. Although phrases sound familiar, I can’t come up with a title.

No. 9 starting out as a ballad. Stunning vibraphone playing. Then up the tempo goes. Overall really nice song. No clue which.

No. 10 I think I know the theme but again no title that comes up. Happy song. Although played in swing for a large piece I feel a latin vibe with it somehow.

No. 11 Like I said I hear phrases of Love me or leave me it this one, but it isn’t it.

No. 12 Tenderly, I did find an artist playing it solo but it wasn’t this one.

No. 13 I think I know this song as well, but can’t come up with the title. Really nice rendition and live is always a pleasure to listen to I think.

No 14. No clue, love the percussion. Really nice, happy song.

No. 15 My Funny Valentine - I think this is my favourite track of them all, a duet with the bass. I did recognize the song straight away this time and this inspired me to write something for myself, although not yet finished I love it when I get ideas from others simply because of their lovely playing. This is a stunning rendition.

No. 16 The first thought in my head was that it was a schooltv program tune. or at least it sounds like it. The time I watched that stuff is some time ago and it is probably not right but I kind of like the idea. It has a bit of funk and overall groovy vibe which I like.

No. 17 seems a children's song, I think I know it but I can't come up with anything.

So I still need to learn so much, that much is clear to me, but I really enjoyed the music and hadn't expected to like the vibraphone so much but I really did. As a singer I tend to prefer the ballads, which were overall gorgeous, but I did enjoy the faster tunes with the exception of just 2 songs which were not really my cup of tea but nice to learn about. I think you can only develop your taste by listening to everything and some music needs to grow on you before you learn to appreciate it. Well Mike, thanks again that I could participate as newbie and for the lovely music. I really appreciate that. My hat is off to my fellow game players who discovered the answers!

Happy holidays to all of you here! :)

kind regards, page

Happy holidays, page! I know that this was your first BFT, and you did as well or better than I ever do with your comments. Welcome to our BFT community!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, a heartily welcome - great first take. It's so hard identifying vibists - you will see when the answers are posted.

For me these blindfold tests are not just abot guessing who plays, but how one thinks about the music, which is very, very interesting with this compilation. Really.

Kudos to JSngry for recognizing # 15, and # 2.

# 10 is early Shearing, but it's not Denzil Best - Jim R identified this one. The last track is Shearing, too.

.... but you're all mislead about the rest ....

Seems the two sub-concepts I had in mind seem to work.

I will wait until December 30 with the answers.

Edited by mikeweil

Thanks for the kind words and welcome gents. I have a lot of discovering to do, For me music is about senses so what comes to the surface when you listen to someone playing or while making music with each other and that sure was the case with this compilation since it brought me so much joy really. I just feel lucky that I have the chance to be a witness and take part. I know that may sound corny but really that is how it is for me. I'm looking forward to the revelation Mike and Hot Ptah, thank you again.

Edited by page

Time to embarrass myself. I haven't focused much on vibes in my listening life...but maybe it's time for me to learn. I'm going to get schooled on this one.

1. I'm sticking with Red Norvo here, thinking it's one of his heavily arranged groups. Not that heavy arrangement is a bad thing. It certainly isn't bad here.

2. Very nice. I can't think of any trumpet-vibes-bass recordings. My favorite thing about this one is the gutsy bass playing.

3. Sounds like a Prestige recording engineered by Mr. Van Gelder. Maybe Lem Winchester?

4. A pianist who is way into McCoy Tyner, but maybe not actually him. Enjoyable all the way, but my favorite thing about it is the drumming, highly interactive but never too loud.

5. The organ was off-putting at first, but this version of "Beautiful Love" has grown on me enormously. Maybe early '60s here, maybe Johnny Lytle?

6. Oh yeah. I could listen to this all day. A nice Mingus-y feeling. The arrangement never draws too much attention to itself. I want this record, now, please.

7. Really quite beautiful. This might be Walt Dickerson, in which case NIS will have nailed it long ago. This one also gets better every time I hear it.

8. The gentle heat of this one makes me think of Milt Jackson more than the others do. But that isn't John Lewis or Connie Kay, seems to me.

9. Wait a minute, this one sounds even more like Milt Jackson than 8 did, and now the rest of the band really sounds like MJQ.

10. Maybe a Shearing thing? So that might be Terry Gibbs? Love the brief guitar spot.

11. "Love Me or Leave Me" changes? Early '50s, I guess. This is from a corner of bebop/cool that I haven't explored much, but I like what I hear.

12. "Tenderly," a very beautiful solo. No guess, but I'm impressed with this one.

13. "If You Could See Me Now," with overamped bass from the '70s or '80s. That could be John Lewis comping, so we come back to Milton again. This has bebop authenticity all over it.

14. This really lives and breathes. Maybe Bobby Hutcherson? The piano playing reminds me of Chick Corea more than anybody else.

15. A "Funny Valentine" of tremendous warmth. The only bass-vibes duets in my collection are Dickerson and Davis, and this isn't them, but it's just beautiful.

16. Seems like this might be a CTI (or A&M) record. Is that Kenny Burrell? The vibes solo, with some harmonic adventure, grows on me. Lots of subtle good humor in this groove, circa 1970.

17. Good holiday feelings, and a sweet groove that should never have to end. Funny, you don't hear this tune much in the USA anymore. Love the pianist's Erroll Garner-ish left hand.

This is an ear-opener, Mike! Many thanks.

I've spent the last week mostly playing with my visiting grandchildren, so I haven't got back to the BFT for awhile. Hopefully I will get back to it this weekend and make a wild guess or two. I did want to mention that I am really interested in the bass/vibe duo. The vibes really do sound familiar but I agree with your assesment that it is a tough instrument to ID. Neat track.

It's been a busy month, but I'm glad to be able to finally devote some time to this BFT. I'm visiting relatives, and only have an iPad to access the internet. Typing on it is awkward, so I'll keep my remarks short. That shouldn't matter, since this is one of those BFTs where I don't recognize anything and don't have much to say.

1. To this vibist, the instrument is a percussion instrument for sure - rhythm is at least as important as melody. Nice piano solo, and I like the bass clarinet in the ensemble.

2. I like the missing beats which turn some measures into 7/4. A fine, fairly modest little piece.

3. Tasty altered blues changes with good solos.

4. My first thought was McCoy Tyner; I don't think so, but it's someone who has listened to him. I love the no solos/ collective improv approach. Beautiful cymbal sound.

5. This vibes that's an earthy sound, which is not what you automatically think with vibes. Can't think of the name of this tune. Cool track.

6. Cool to hear vibes at the center of a larger ensemble. Tenor player sounds familiar, but I can't place him. Good vibes solo, cool plunger trombone, and nice piece.

7. A virtuoso player and an exciting recording. Nice and spiky - I like it.

8. Beautiful, soulful playing from both the vibist and the pianist.

9. This sounds familiar, but again, I can't place it. A well-constructed three minutes.

10. Some vibraphonic goodness from the early fifties, I would guess. Like it; no ideas.

11. Well, the chords are "Love Me or Leave Me." More good stuff I can't identify. The bassist makes the most of his eight bars,

12. A nice solo "Tenderly," although the pauses bothered me. Monk made that kind of hesitation work, but it doesn't work as well here.

13. "If You Could See Me Now," one of my favorite ballads. The electric bass makes me think this might be the Montgomery brothers, but I don't really know.

14. I don't respond to Latin rhythms as much as some people, but this is very good. Interesting piano solo and equally good vibes solo.

15. Beautiful! I love the very natural bass sound. I get the impression that the vibist has a lot more chops than he/she is displaying here - I like the restraint.

16. Great groove and once again, excellent playing all around.

17. Merry Christmas!

Enjoyed hearing the music, even if I didn't have much to add to the conversation this time.

It's the vibe, so I feel compelled to make a couple of wild guesses.

Track 1 - an exuberance that makes me think of Terry Gibbs.

Track 5 - playing reminds me of Joe Locke.

Track 6 - Teddy Charles.

Still really liking the vibes/bass track, which is a combination I really like. I have several albums with this combination and will probably have another soon.

Oh shit, I can't paste on the board, still.

Dammit.

I've sent my answers to Jeff Crompton and asked him to post them for me :D

MH

Posting for the representative from South Wales:

Well, I’m terribly late to the party. No time until Christmas Eve, when I managed to get #1-9 in. And the rest this evening. But it’s a shame, because I really enjoyed these last tracks a lot more than the early ones. Anyway, here we go.
1 Vibes player – very fast vibes. Interesting bits of band behind him. There’s something old-fashioned about this – well, definitely pre-bop. I don’t think it’s Lionel Hampton; I’ll guess Red Norvo, of whom I’ve heard very little. Nice stuff, this.
2 Another vibes player. With a trumpet. I don’t know either the vibes or trumpet man. This is definitely more modern than #1. But there’s something deliberately unswinging about it; well, at least sometimes. Especially during the vibes player’s unaccompanied section. I suspect it’s quite hard for a vibes player to swing without accompaniment, but I can’t say this gets to me at all.
3 Using Jim Sangrey’s rule of thumb, is that Mr Persip on drums? This is nice. I like all the musicians, like the way they’re playing but somehow there seems to be nothing going on. It’s just … nice.
4 A lot of vibes players here, aren’t there? Can’t say I dug the pianist’s intro. It warmed up when the vibes player came in, though but, now at 3:30 the pianist’s playing too much piano. I can’t really follow what the vibes player’s doing. And he keeps doing it. Perhaps this is the pianist’s record, not the vibes man’s. I’d like to guess Booby Hutcherson but I’m far from sure. I can tell this is damned good, but it’s not getting to me, I’m afraid.
5 Another vibes player, with organ, but not one of the usual suspects. Once they get through the intro, they swing quite nicely. It has all the simplicity of most of Johnny Lytle’s work, but there’s very little of that I haven’t got and don’t recognise this. Nice organ player. I guess this is European.
6 WTF? Oh, another vibes player, how astounding! Now a tenor player. I guess this is one of those German radio bands. Maybe the vibes player is a special guest. The tenor player and the very nice trombonist seem to be members of the band. Good work by the soloists all; I just don’t like the tune or the arrangement.
7 One more vibes player! Don’t know what this is supposed to be; sounds like programme music – something behind the action in a film, maybe – but I suspect it’s very serious jazz.
8 Another serious cut, with another vibes player.
9 Ah, a flute – and vibes. I had quite a strong Milt Jackson feeling about this at the beginning. Then I didn’t.
10 Ah, do we have some Cal Tjader now? Well, it sounds a bit more like Milt Jackson. Trouble with all these tracks featuring vibes players, they all meld into one after a bit. But this is nice.
11 Another nice one. Yes, this is a bit more like Cal; not so much vibrato.
12 ‘Tenderly’ – first tune I’ve recognised. And this really sounds like Mr Jackson. It’s really very nice.
13 ‘If you could see me now’ you’d see me worrying whether this isn’t ANOTHER Milt Jackson cut. Nice support from the pianist. I’m going to guess this is an MJQ cut from one of their live albums – ‘Euro concert’ perhaps, because I know that’s one of Mike’s old pair of slippers.
14 Now here’s an interesting thing. Love the pianist’s left hand, but his right hand doesn’t seem to be quite in sync always. When it is, it’s right there, though. This sounds as if it should be one of Booby Hutcherson’s mid-seventies cuts; it’s the odd rhythm that does it. I think the pianist’s actually playing the way he should.
15 ‘My funny valentine’ – just bass & vibes. Pretty, but I constantly get a feeling that they aren’t listening to one another. And, even more important, they’re not wholly interested in the song; it’s just something to play.
16 John Patton’s ‘Ding dong’. Guitarist didn’t really have much to say, but the vibes player’s really talking to me. Now it’s the organist’s turn. And I think the organist is Wonder Boy. If I’m right, this is probably from the album Booby made with Joey D a few years ago. Drummer’s irritating, I’m afraid; forget who was on that album apart from the two principals. Actually, I’d rather listen to Big John’s version any day.
17 ‘Ding dong merrily on high’ – hur hur. Well, it’s New Year’s Day, so I’ve missed it, but Happy Christmas to y’all. This is the MJQ, surely. They did this stuff SO well. Oh, here’s the guitarist, so it ain’t the MJQ. Don’t care, I still like this.
MG