Stan Tracey, RIP

Chuck Nessa

That's sad. In some way it seemd he'd just keep on going and playing. He'll leave a big hole in the UK Jazz world for sure

I'll not forget the duo performance with Keith Tippett I witnessed at a Stan birthday celebration gig at the Barbican a few years back - mesmerising

Damn, that's a loss. Hearing him was a high point of my trip to London 3 years ago. It made me think that the Monk-Tracey style is the only right way to play jazz piano - everybody else is wrong. So swinging! He was leading a quintet with 2 young saxophonists. Great comping and one of the most ferocious rhythm sections I've ever heard: Stan, a most aggressive bassist, and Clark Tracey, drums - powerful.

Yes, he sure sounds good with Rollins. Now I'm going to hunt for my Tracey Octet CD.

Stan was probably best known in the wider jazz world for his 60s/70s jazz records - 'Under Milk Wood' being justly renowned. But he was firing on all cylinders right to the end. The run of recordings he did for Trio records are remarkable - duo, trio, quartets with Bobby Wellins and Peter King, recordings with younger players and a gorgeous vocal recording that stretched over two discs with Norma Winstone and Wellins. My other favourites are the ones he did on his own Steam label in the 70s/80s with Art Themen in the sax chair.

Have a look here for a discography:

http://www.stantracey.com/discog.htm

The duos with Keith Tippett have already been mentioned; the one with Louis Moholo-Moholo and two with Evan Parker are also marvellous.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

RIP Stan

have fond memories of seeing him live here in Brisbane sometime during the 90's (got a tape of the concert somewhere)

I think it was a tour to promote his Blue Note CD "Portraits Plus"

his work with Evan Parker on his psi label is worth a listen (good late period material)

RIP Stan. A wonderful musician who was a lynch pin of Ronnie Scott's club supporting innumerable visiting musicians. Both sides of the deal benefited greatly - Stan through working with musicians like Getz, Rollins, Webster and many others, and the visitors who clearly appreciated the artistry of his support.

He was scheduled to do an Xmas gig in Southampton on the 12th Dec and I was really hoping to pop down there. Sadly, not to be. Didn't realise that he had been suffering from cancer but must admit that he looked a little bit frail at Swanage but played like a demon.

This one is recommended - both suites were performed that afternoon in Swanage

518OkDMKlsL._SY450_.jpg

Always remember the first time I saw him on telly in the 1970s. It was on Spike Milligan's show - Spike used his trio as the half-time musical slot. Not sure what most of the audience made of it but left an impression with me !

Managed to see 'Under Milk Wood Suite' with Bobby Wellins too - some years ago now at the Bath Fest. RIP and thanks for the music Mr Tracey.

Edited by sidewinder

I first saw him in late '76 when he did his revival of 'Under Milk Wood' with narration. I seem to recall his profile was raised, reaching people of my age (round 21 then) - he was playing with the likes of Keith Tippett so the name got attention there. There was a BBC documentary about him in 1977 I remember seeing whilst on teaching practice down in Cornwall. He was being presented as a hip, elder statesman (can't have been much more than late 40s!).

Always enjoyed hearing him speak or reading interviews with him. He was always very down to earth.

Wasn't that BBC documentary done for 'Omnibus' and repeated by BBC4 not too long ago? I have it on DVD somewhere - will have to search it out. Hopefully the Beeb will repeat it at some time. What struck me about that programme (also mentioned in Ian Carr's 'Music Outside' book) was that he nearly packed in jazz in the early 1970s to be a postman, due to lack of work. It's good that in the latter years this changed for the better.

Edited by sidewinder