FIFA World Cup 2014

J.A.W.

For the Americans who are starting to enjoy the game, why not keeping it on by supporting a MLS franchise preferably the one nearest your hometown , if your players are doing better although as we saw there still is a gap to be filled it is a lot because you finally got a championship that helps develop those guys. The US has made a huge progress in the last 20 years and suprise suprise it is how old this league is. Of course the skill level is not as good as you saw in the WC. Emotions aside you have to go to UEFA Champions league games or top cluib action from the main leagues to see something superior in terms of skills compared to what was displayed the last few weeks. But it is still a quite enjoyable league, the gap between the worst and top team is narrow so that on any given day you can expect suprises, teams are relatively offense minded and do have gaps in defense so you can expect plenty of goals (most teams average at least one goal a game) and a bit like baseball there is something magic about passing an evening or late afternoon watching live action, hearing the chants from the kops.and cheering your local team doing its thing. And maybe you'll find many of the guys you supported during this terrific ride playing in front of your eyes.

My son and his wife have been season ticket holders for FCD two years running now, plus he's part of the team's official "booster club" or whatever it is. At this point in the sport's popularity in this area, it's an affordable proposition for him, and it's affording him the opportunity to interact with the organization on more than a casual spectator level. Don't know what "kops" are, but it sounds like he might be one! I've gone to a few games with him over the years, and look forward to attending a few more in the years ahead. It's a good thing, and definitely not what you see your kids playing on Saturday mornings, to put it mildly!

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A kop or supporters section is the section in the stadium where you got people leading the chants to support the local team , it is basically the most animated part of the stadium. From what I get, your son might be part of the kop gametime

liverpool_kop.jpg

In montreal we got a raucous one

7387293336_03e756b604_n-300x199.jpg

Edited by Van Basten II

The thing here is that the sport's coverage is so poor with rather amenable journalism so they are the best thing to actually challenge the front office , the technical director is the owner's brother in law and he gets away with a lot in terms of corporative BS. In any confrontation , there is always a risk of things go astray but it's part of the game.

I agree. The match simply highlighted the gulf in class between the two sides. Germany looked comfortable and played within themselves whilst France didn't have the players to effect a change - maybe if Ribery had been there he may have made that difference. Les Bleues will be better by the Euros in 2016 as there's potential in Pogba, Greismann and Valbuena but so will the Germans.

here's hopeing that Colombia upset the hosts

It's outrageous how top strikers are assaulted during games.

Yes Brazil were guilty of that same cynical tactic by trying to kick Rodriguez out of the match at every opportunity.

Ironic that Brazil should now lose their star player to similar treatment. Scolari has been complaining about Neymar's treatment all tournament but that was exposed as hypocrisy last night the way his team acted. Until managers set the positive example and refrain from sending their team out to assault opponents' flair players it will continue....just ask Messi.

I thought the ref was too lenient last night and didn't protect the players. he was trying to let the game flow but I think didn't draw the line early enough with some challenges

Edited by mjazzg

Hopefully next Wednesday's semi-final will be between Belgium and The Netherlands.

Yeah, I'll keep my fingers crossed for both teams. So is everyone dressed in orange in Haarlem today too, erwbol? Are you going to watch at home, or somewhere in the city? I'm not sure yet myself. The opponent team decided to complaint about Robben in advance, talking about tactics. ;)

It's outrageous how top strikers are assaulted during games.

Yes Brazil were guilty of that same cynical tactic by trying to kick Rodriguez out of the match at every opportunity.

Ironic that Brazil should now lose their star player to similar treatment. Scolari has been complaining about Neymar's treatment all tournament but that was exposed as hypocrisy last night the way his team acted. Until managers set the positive example and refrain from sending their team out to assault opponents' flair players it will continue....just ask Messi.

I thought the ref was too lenient last night and didn't protect the players. he was trying to let the game flow but I think didn't draw the line early enough with some challenges

Agree 100%.

Hopefully next Wednesday's semi-final will be between Belgium and The Netherlands.

The thing that could prevent this wish is that teams with bigger CVs usually get results and yesterday's results seem to go this way also so if Netherlands should be favourites, Belgium on the other hand no matter how ordinary Argentina looked ...