FIFA World Cup 2014

J.A.W.

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shit.

the result or the performance?

The result foremost, but I suspect the game wasn't very enjoyable for a neutral.

I actually enjoyed the 90 minutes. I was more like a chess match and tactically intriguing with both teams set up to blunt the opponents goal threat. I thought Argentina were better at shaking off the shackles than the Dutch who seemed to present very little threat.

After 90 minutes I took the neutral's prerogative and turned off as I thought it might end up where it did

Shit happens but life goes on. :) It seemed like chess indeed. I think Van Gaal expected to not need to shoot penalties and we can't be blam this on Cilessen solely. He saved some pretty good ones during the game and the ones before that. He is young and lacks experience in the area of penalties. The team should have scored during the game but they decided that it was more important to keep the opponent team from scoring and I guess Argentina did the same. Ron Vlaar was fabulous btw.

Let's be honest, considering no one in our country expected them to make it through the first round, they did very well. There are a lot of players still at the beginning of their career, there are going to be some among those who will grow to be great players. I'm looking forward to saturday's game since Brazil will be a great opponent. I hope the players will realize that they should still enjoy this last game and give it their best shot. I still wear my orange shirt with pride today.
As for the finals I think Germany will get the cup.

Edited by page

Shit happens but life goes on. :) It seemed like chess indeed. I think Van Gaal expected to not need to shoot penalties and we can't be blam this on Cilessen solely. He saved some pretty good ones during the game and the ones before that. He is young and lacks experience in the area of penalties. The team should have scored during the game but they decided that it was more important to keep the opponent team from scoring and I guess Argentina did the same. Ron Vlaar was fabulous btw.

Let's be honest, considering no one in our country expected them to make it through the first round, they did very well. There are a lot of players still at the beginning of their career, there are going to be some among those who will grow to be great players. I'm looking forward to saturday's game since Brazil will be a great opponent. I hope the players will realize that they should still enjoy this last game and give it their best shot. I still wear my orange shirt with pride today.

Well said.

Well said.

Agreed. The level of competition in Soccer is so high, definitely not a sport where one or two countries dominate. At the end of the day only one team can raise the cup.

I think some retail therapy is in order so I will go ahead and order that Bobby Hutcherson "oblique" SHM CD even though I have the RVG CD already...

The night of the game against Argentina (the game finished after midnight here) I listened till four in the morning to Bobby Hutcherson records drinking tea.

(I've never heard the RVG of Oblique on CD, but the SHM is very nice.)

I expect FIFA will try not to deal with it, so it will be up to the players to seriously press the point. I'm not sure what the solution is though I read that rugby helmets, which would seem applicable, are not much good at preventing concussions. Perhaps a rule change to start so that any blow to the head could result in a PK, depending on the circumstances. That should reduce a lot of deliberate hits, or at least make players more careful.

To be fair to FIFA (not a phrase I thought I'd ever write) they have tightened the rules considerably in recent years so that the most common causes of concussion are seen as foul play and often can lead to yellow (or even red) cards. A high foot and flailing/leading arms/elbows in aerial challenges are dealt with much more regularly and severely these days. The third most likely reason for a concussion, the accidental clash of heads Like Mascherano in the Holland game, is something you can't really legislate against without outlawing aerial challenges altogether.

Certainly in the last 10/15 years football's become a lot less of a contact sport and without sounding like an old timer (which I guess I am when it comes to years watching it) if the trend continues it will change the game beyond recognition.

I think they do have to look at automatic substitutions for concussed players with no return to that match and independent medical advice dictating the length of the lay-off

It's just that watching these knock-out games is so stressful. When I was younger I could handle it better. Afterwards I always promise myself this tournament was the last I invested in emotionally.

I do get stressed too, the game with Mexico I couldn't really watch the whole time. I usually go do something else when I feel restless and leave the tv on while watching with one eye. I repaired some clothes that night, lol. This last game with Argentina I was remarkably calm though, don't know why that is. I'm looking forward to tonights game, wearing orange all day while neigbours took down their flags and stuff. Support until the end as far as I'm concerned.

Have fun you guys! :) page